Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Cleaning Inside Glass With Paper Towel

Discussion in 'Algae Removal' started by fishman120, Jun 9, 2016.

1. fishman120

fishman120 Mostly New Member

Hi All !!
    I was told to clean the inside glass with paper towels. 1) what is the purpose of that, and 2.0) what paper towel can I use so it won't shred and get little pieces floating all over ?  Thanks !!!  

2. eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

Not sure who gave you that advice...  But its not really great advice.

They make specific tools for cleaning algae off of glass.  These are more efficient.  But, if you are going to use paper towels, I'd recommend you do it when the water level is down and only do it in the area where the water is NOT.  

I've never used paper towel underwater in my tanks.

3. fishman120

fishman120 Mostly New Member

Thanks JD,
    I have a magnet, and I have a square stiff like sponge made for algae removal.  I don't know where I saw the towel thing but I'll ditch it real quick !!   Thanks man, have a great day !!

4. Ch4rlie

Ch4rlie Unlicensed Moderating Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

This is the first I've heard anyone advising paper towel for cleaning inside fish tank.

But paper is good for cleaning glass, dry, I.e windows of your house.

As EA says, there are good products for cleaning tank glass, algae scrapers, any clean cloth, clean sponge, there are even gloves you can wear to clean glass all sorts of things. Most lfs will have a small range of cleaning stuff like this.

Personally I use green scourer and toothbrush for cleaning inside tank glass in water. Microfibres cloth for exterior tank glass.

Do NOT use glass cleaner chemicals, polish or soap etc for cleaning glass. Tank water can absorb these chemical/sprays likely to be toxic for all inhabitants of tank.

5. Alasse

Alasse Fish Herder

I have used paper towel many times to clean the inside glass, specially when diatoms are what i am cleaning. I never have a problem with it falling apart in the tank