Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

clam advice needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates, Amphibians & Aquatic Rep' started by Mark Z., Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mark Z.

Mark Z. Member

Hi,
    So, I bought two freshwater clams at the pet store. I think they are Asian gold clams. I thought they were different and they were cheap so I bought them without thinking about it first.

Now, I have been researching them and wonder if I made a mistake.

Has anyone had any experience with these? I am wondering how to make sure they get enough food. I'm worried that they may die without me noticing right away and cause an ammonia spike in the tank and harm the fish.

As of now, they look fine, I guess. They don't seem to move much. (my geos may be pushing them around, not sure) and sometimes I see the larger one open a slight bit. Other than that, I can't really tell if they are OK or not.

Any advice from experience?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman Fish Crazy

Clams nescarilly need a good population of microbes in the water, FW clams are not prevelent in the hobby due to their extensive care requirements. Either you start a culture of spirluina alage or get the the powdered form Of it and simply feed an appropriate amount. This will make your water cloudy. Clams are too demanding IMO and should Be avoided unless their specific needs can be met

3. Mark Z.

Mark Z. Member

Thanks. I was afraid of that! I have them in a 55 gallon and was wondering how they would get enough food by filtering the water.

4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Fish Addict

Clams really don't survive in captivity, captive breed or not its a very talented skill to keep them alive for their entire life. If not more than a month. That's why they are so uncommon and no one keeps them, not even the top aquascapers or fish keepers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chris1075

Chris1075 New Member

Thanks. looks like I won't be getting one anytime soon.

6. Myrkk

Myrkk New Member

Sadly I already bought some. I'm hoping the shrimp gum I feed my shrimp will help feed the clams also