Chilli Rasbora (Brigittae) Hiding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Filth86

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I introduced 13 Chilli Rasbora to my 60L tank on Saturday. 12 Of them school, swim and are eating however the 13th is hiding somewhere and Im not noticing him eat. I saw him briefly yesterday hiding under the driftwood and tried feeding so it fell in front of him but nothing. Just concerned if there is an issue.

Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.25
Tank was cycled.
Nothing else shares the tank other than an assasin snail which is trying to resolve a baby snail problem.
It is lightly Planted Also has a rock, driftwood and ornament.
Light is on 11 Hours a day.
Water temp is howering around 80 but my heater isn't doing any work, this heatwave has increased the water temp slightly.

Any advice or tips welcome.

Also out of the bunch there seems to be 2 or 3 with good colouration and the others are quite dull however after feeding colours go deeper. The one hiding is one of the more red coloured ones which I thought would be positive thing?

Are all of them eating? Other than hiding, do they have any symptoms?
I found my guys hid when they were in a bare tank. If you can attach a picture of your tank I can have look to see if there's enough hiding places.

I'm in agreement with Mr Tree, these fish do better when they have plenty of cover. If they know they have somewhere to hide, they are happier, and therefore swim out more. In a bare tank, with no cover, they will just hide.

It may just be that this specific fish is a particularly nervous one, or it may be that he had a particularly bad time being netted (either into the bag, or out of it). I had a pentazona barb who managed to flick itself out of the net when trying to put it into my tank. It landed on the glass top of the tank, and I had a bit of a job trying to get it into the water. It took a week/10 days to really recover.

Not sure why just one of these little guys is taking refuge, although, I suspect he's arrived with you already with a problem, which may or may not resolve itself.

What I will say is that your Ammonia level should really be at 0ppm if you've cycled correctly. However, depending on the testing kit you use (liquid drip tests are better) it could be an erroneous result. Perhaps check it again after a water change to get that down to 0.

80 deg f should be fine for temp, but, try not to let it creep up any further. You didn't mention pH but those little guys prefer slightly acidic to neutral waters so have a check at that, too. 

As TT says, plenty hiding places are a must for these wee shy little fellas!

Ooh, I missed that it was only one fish. I will say that IME, in almost every school of fish I've ever owned, there is ALWAYS one or two outcasts that need some time to assimilate with the rest of the group. These fish either end up normal, a loner or dead.

PH 7. Would It be a good idea to keep the light off until he gains confidence.

I thought the fact he had good colours might of been a positive thats hes healthy and just a bit nervous.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back