Cherries and Taiwan Bees?

kanokoro

Reaction score
I've got a 60ltr planted tank with some cherries in. they seem very content, eating well and breeding. I was thinking about adding some Taiwan Bees as I'd love to add some diversity to the tank.
I've heard they have relatively similar requirements to cherries, but the cherries prefer their water a little more acidic (currently at ph 7.6 in my tank)
Will this level of acidity harm Taiwan Bees at all?
thanks for the help :)

According to what I can find, bee shrimps need acidic water, it's cherry shrimps that can cope with acidic and basic water. At pH 7.6, that's a bit too high for bee shrimps.

According to what I can find, bee shrimps need acidic water, it's cherry shrimps that can cope with acidic and basic water. At pH 7.6, that's a bit too high for bee shrimps.
I see, thank you! I've heard that catappa leaves are a pretty simple way of lowering ph. have you had any experience using them with shrimp?

I see, thank you! I've heard that catappa leaves are a pretty simple way of lowering ph. have you had any experience using them with shrimp?
I have used Indian almond leaves with success.

It depends on the hardness of the water. GH, KH and pH are linked together and if GH and especially KH are high, it is difficult to lower pH significantly. But if it's just the pH that's high with low GH and KH the leaves may lower the pH somewhat, though by how much it's hard to say.
Bee shrimps need pH 6.2 to 6.8; GH 4 to 6 dH and KH 1 to 2. If your GH and KH are at those levels, the leaves should lower the pH.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back