Chaos In The Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brin

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I always had a fish tank of one size or another and put whatever I thought was pretty in it. Growing up we always had a fish tank and that's what was done, I can't be the only one. The last tank I had I gave the fish to a business owner that had a huge tank (and an aquarium service) because I was done.

I found myself missing the serenity of the fish. Years later I have a 55 gallon tank and of course a lot has changed about fish and aquariums, and I guess myself as well because although I always loved my other fish, now I worry about them like my cat or dog or children. :)

Anyway..... My tank. (And worry) 55 gal which for a month I had 5 white clouds. Although fun little buggars after a while it became like watching pong. I added 4 platys because I want a peaceful tank. All was well so I decided to add a few more little ones, like the little ones. 3 neon tetras, 3 red nose tetras.

Here's my chaos and worry. Lol At first one red nose tetra was swimming with the minnows like it was lost or something and couldn't find the other tetras. All of the others schooled together. All was still ok but then the one little lost one found the rest of the tetras and the other two red nosed tetras chased it all over the tank. :(

I think your problem may arise from the fact that most tetras, barbs, small minnows like to shoal in groups of their own kind, it gives them a sense of security. The tetra are acting skittish as a result. What is needs is an increase in their group size to 8 - 12 in each, 6 being a minimum. Apart from calming them down its more pleasing on the eye, of course that's subjective but I prefer larger groups of small tetras to enhance their attractive appearance.

All your fish occupy the same area of the tank so there will be a bit of fighting up there and they will establish their own pecking orders but as long as they have cover and hiding spots and enough of each to spread the aggression it shouldn't get too bad.

Best way to stock is from top to bottom.  So instead of getting all species like tetras/WCM which will all use and swim mid/top get some species which will occupy the top, middle and bottom so they all have their own areas without clashing so much.

Like Elmo said, the more of one group you have the better,,, so instead of getting 3 neons an 3 red nose it would have been better to just get 6 or more of either one or the other.

All is now peace and harmony. The white clouds swim at the top, the neons toward the bottom, the red nose in the middle. Occasionally they all get together in a big group then split off again. The red nose are quite funny.

White Cloud Mountain Minnows are more temperate fish, meaning they prefer cooler waters below tropical temps.

Quoted from Seriously Fish-

"Temperature: This species is subject to seasonal temperature fluctuations in nature and is most comfortable between 14 – 22 °C.

Permanent exposure to warmer conditions is likely to result in a shortened lifespan and in many countries or well-insulated homes it’s best-maintained without artificial heating year-round."

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tanichthys-albonubes/

I don't heat the tank. Although it is in a room with a pellet stove in the winter so it isn't around 50 degrees or widely swinging to 90 in the summer but before I decided on fish again I looked for the specifics of the conditions. The tank will vary a few degrees but not drastically and all are within their range. But thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back