Celestial pearl danios

IdoA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently introduced 6 CPD's into my 10 galoon.
I have 4 females and 2 males. They all seem kind of pale and the males body are grey ish not blue as its supposed to be..

I fed them with grano color by JBL.
Do you think they will color up?

Also what other fish can I keep with them?
Maybe Chilli rasboras? Or a honey gurami?

Thanks!

IMG_20220402_113925.jpg

These fish need a bigger shoal than 6, I would get more of them. In a 10 gallon, a large shoal of celestial pearl danios would be fully stocked.

Fish are stressed when we first buy them. They've been shipped to the wholesaler. Then shipped to the store and probably kept overcrowded in a tank with no decor. They have had people walking past the tank with nowhere to hide. They've been chased round the tank with a net, probably on several occasions before finally being caught, put into a bag, then into a strange tank with different water. They can take several days to settle in and colour up, sometimes weeks.

As this is a newly cycled tank, are you testing for ammonia and nitrite every day just to make sure they are staying at zero? It is sensible to do this for several days each time fish are added to a newly cycled tank.

The photo shows a fish with the red fins of a CPD. I had assumed the photo was taken as the fish was moving so the spots were 'smeared' together into stripes :unsure:

would you say in general the pearl danios are better or zebra danios?
you seem liek you have a lot of plants, they'll definitely color up. id say wait a while then buy new danios because that way the new ones condition faster

Whats your water hardness like? CPDs come from quite a hard water source so like some softwater fish its best to match your water to their natural environments.

Good tank mates (so long as you have harder water) would be Rice Fish, Rummy Nose Rasbora, Oil Catfish, Inle Loach, Rosy Loach or if you want a non schooling fish Livebearers would be good like Endlers or Platies. I would just go for male Livebearers though as a 10g will soon get over run.

Wills

Since the OP already has 6 cpd's I would just have a big shoal of these in 10 gallons - assuming the water is right for them.

@Sgooosh These are celestial pearl danios, Celestichthys margaritatus, which used to be called galaxy rasboras. They are small tropical fish which can be kept in small tanks.
The fish called pearl danios are Brachydanio albolineata and have similar requirements to zebra danios, Brachydanio rerio. Both Brachydanios are very fast swimming temperate fish which need a long tank and cooler temperatures.

Since the OP already has 6 cpd's I would just have a big shoal of these in 10 gallons - assuming the water is right for them.

@Sgooosh These are celestial pearl danios, Celestichthys margaritatus, which used to be called galaxy rasboras. They are small tropical fish which can be kept in small tanks.
The fish called pearl danios are Brachydanio albolineata and have similar requirements to zebra danios, Brachydanio rerio. Both Brachydanios are very fast swimming temperate fish which need a long tank and cooler temperatures.
ohhh galaxy rasboras!! i recognize them now
can they be kept together?

Do you mean celestial pearl danios with pearl or zebra danios? I would say no because cpd's need warmer water than pearl & zebra danios, and their fast swimming would stress cpd's.

Do you mean celestial pearl danios with pearl or zebra danios? I would say no because cpd's need warmer water than pearl & zebra danios, and their fast swimming would stress cpd's.
thanks!

it would be best to keep cpd's in a species tank or with very slow moving fish, all three species have a wide temperature range they all do well with a temperature of 70 f

it would be best to keep cpd's in a species tank or with very slow moving fish, all three species have a wide temperature range they all do well with a temperature of 70 f
is it ok if room temp goes up to 80 in the summer with AC on?

Yes it is fine.

I don't even turn the air conditioner on until the temperature gets to 30C (86F)
oh we turn it on when its 81-90

i take the heaters out in summer because they don't really even do anything

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back