Can You Mix Different Types Of Cories?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phishy25

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I hav 3 panda's and a sterbai at the moment. I have just bought a 260 litre tank and I'm waiting for it to cycle. As cories are my favourites, how many would you recommend I get to build a little family. Can I mix them with other cories? My sterbi came with the panda's, but I would like to get him a friend or two.

All Corys can live with each other, but they need to be with atleast 3 other of there own type. so before you get dfferent corys et 1 more panda an 3 more sterbais then if you want get like 4 skunks.

Hi Phishy25,

I don't like to tell you this but generally Pandas and Sterbais are not good match since their optimal water temperature is far apart. :(
I do have both of them. I keep my Pandas in unheated tank which around 68~72F with high oxygenated current from powerhead. And they do spawn regularly. On the other hand, Sterbais are kept ~82F~ and they too spawn every other day to everyday.
I know some people keep all the Corys in same community tank set up of around 75F and they may do ok in short term but I don't know the long term affect. Anyway, so if you can have 2 tanks and place them in each optimal water parameter, they would do better for you. Of course, you should have 4+ 6 would be better of each in each tank.
Of course, if you make any water parameter adjustment, please take some time to acclimate properly. So it would be less stressful for them.
And if you look for the different Cories to mix them together in one tank, please do some research of their optimal water parameter(like specie profile) before you try. Both you(they would live longer with less illness) and the fish would be much happier if they kept in similar water parameter of their origin.

Anyway, good luck with your fish.

All Corys can live with each other, but they need to be with atleast 3 other of there own type. so before you get dfferent corys et 1 more panda an 3 more sterbais then if you want get like 4 skunks.

I have had these 4 cories for 18 months now in a community tank and have had no problems. I know they should be in a larger group and I need more Sterbai's, but I need to wait for the tank to cycle first. Thanks for the advice about the different temperatures Neoncory. I didn't know they needed different temps depending on the type of cory. :good:

Most reactions

Back