Can I Put A Tadpole In My Aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lawrence

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have tadpoles in my pond and I caught them in a net. I have them in a bucket. After observing them I wondered if I could keep them until they fully develop (well not fully otherwise they might jump out of my tank :p). Can I keep 3 tadpoles in my aquarium. They are about 4-5cm long. Their legs are starting to develop, and they have eyes.

Tadpoles would need to be kept in a cold water environment. Also u'd need to supply them with what they eat.

Another thing to think about is that the adult frogs usually return to their place of "birth" to spawn. Taking them out of the pond could very well mess that up.

well im moving house in 4 weeks, so will it matter if i jsut relocate the tadpoles. I am going to build my own pond and will want some life in it :D

Provided your water is reasonably well oxygenated, UK frog tadpoles can tolerate a wide range of temperatures comfortably (ever seen a pond in hot weather? :D)

Couple of things to consider though:

They are nippy (tadpoles consume their smaller brothers during maturation - especially if food/space is short), they are messy (pooh a lot), and they may well carry disease/parasites (if you have/will have other tank residents).

And no (LOL) moving a frog tadpole won't alter its internal compass memory when it comes to respawning.

Once in a blue moon I feed my angels, african butterflyfish, catfish and bichirs a few tadpoles when they are still small. ( HUGE pond in my back yard with TONS of tadpoles )... other than glass shrimp, guppies, mealworms, earthworms, grasshoppers and ofcourse some flake, freeze dried brine shrimp/bloodworm/tubifex worms.....zucchini,cucumber......and on and on........ I THINK MY FISH HAVE A MORE VARIED DIET THAN ME!! :rofl:

u should check the laws of ur country. in some states of australia it is illegal to remove a frog from its habitat (including ur own property eg. front and back yards). if u want ur local frog population to remain strong it is advised to NOT add fish to the frogs habitat, as even small fish are quite capable of eating tadpoles.

u should check the laws of ur country. in some states of australia it is illegal to remove a frog from its habitat (including ur own property eg. front and back yards). if u want ur local frog population to remain strong it is advised to NOT add fish to the frogs habitat, as even small fish are quite capable of eating tadpoles.
WEll i added fish and there are more frogs than ever!!! but its fine where i live. Ther more the merrier :D

Most reactions

trending

Back