can i keep these coldwater together in a tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

loates123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi just brough a four foot tank with one of the best fitlers on the market a large filter..

how many fish can i keep in the tank

i want to keep these fish in the tank

tench
golden tench
weatherloach
gold fish
koi carp
one of each

all from garden centre

and
barbel if i can catch one less than 8ins long( could be hard)
roach
rudd
carp common and mirror carp
perch ( i really want this one)

1 or 2 of each
i will catch these fish from a local pond in the uk

want do u think guys
please reply soon

errrrrrrrrmm....where do i start?

sorry but your plans are not good :no:

i cant be done....and its actually illegal...please dont try it.

sorry

could you tell me why it cant be done, or tell me what i can and cant do...
i dont care if its breaking the law i know many people who keep tench and carp together which they have caught from the pond, so what ever u say i will end up doing it anyway..
so i would really be grateful if u could give me some advice

You cannot be serious?!

Golden Tench:
img01019.jpg

Koi need masses of water!! They reach 3 feet, 18" in 4 years link

Barbel:
barbel.jpg

Roach:
s47-3e.jpg

Can't be bothered doing any more, sure you get the message. You could have a goldfish (fancy, not common) and weather loach, though.

guys if u cant tell me why u can alwats post me a instant message, also please could u tell me why this is wrong..
what fish should i not put in there, i was thinking of dropping the koi carp and barbel what do u think .....
by the way that is a nice barbel what weight is it

loates123 said:
could you tell me why it cant be done, or tell me what i can and cant do...
i dont care if its breaking the law i know many people who keep tench and carp together which they have caught from the pond, so what ever u say i will end up doing it anyway..
so i would really be grateful if u could give me some advice
I can tell you why. How about because you are looking to put fish that belong in ponds and lakes in a 4ft glass box. You just can't keep fish like that in an aquarium.

The fish you are talkign about are all massive, except the weather loach. The fish will be unhappy, unhealthy, messy and stunted.

I don't care whether it's illegal, it's cruel.

what about just 1 xgoldfish 1x,weather loach, 2x smalltench from shop and 1x roach and 2xrudd and 1 mirror carp( about 2ins long the carp will be) and also 1 small perch

my mate had two small common and mirror carp in his tank and when they got to big which was around 8oz each he put them back into the pond..i need some advice guys becasue if not i may end up doing it all wrong....

loates123 said:
what about just 1 xgoldfish 1x,weather loach, 2x smalltench from shop and 1x roach and 2xrudd and 1 mirror carp( about 2ins long the carp will be) and also 1 small perch

my mate had two small common and mirror carp in his tank and when they got to big which was around 8oz each he put them back into the pond..i need some advice guys becasue if not i may end up doing it all wrong....
Weather loach, yes. Goldfish, perhaps. The rest...

absolutley not.

You have seen the size of those fish in the pictures about, surely you would not try to squeeze them into a small tank?! They'd barely have room to move.

The carp may be 2" when you get it but it will grow. When it can't grow any more it will become stunted - the body cannot grow any more, the organs continue to grow and the body cannot hold them, the fish will die a horrible death.

ok i will leave the carp out and go with the rest the other fish dont usally grow that big anyway........
any advice would be great, when i asked in the shop they said i could keep the fish ina tank as long as the tank is large

Right the predators like Perch which will chase and try to kill anything in that size tank are a NO for sure! The Mirror, Koi and other Carps are again a no because you have no where near enough room for them. They will reach 20"+. The Tench are also out of the question, contary to believe these are also large fish and will grow to 15". Roach are large messy shoaling fish and your tank isn't big enough so again NO! The Rudd may be possible is you brought a shoal of Golden Rudd then you could also have some Common Goldfish, Comets and Wheather Loaches.

Catching fish from the wild will no doubt bring in parasites and diseases and the wild caught fish are much harder to look after they need a fast current and plenty of vegetation and plenty of room as they would have in the wild. Wild caught fish are also illegal to keep now by law as well as many other Coldwater fish which you must now have a licence to own. Here is a list -

Which species are already on the list for England?
Abramis ballerus, Blue bream
Acipenser sp., Huso sp., Scaphirhynchus sp., Pseudoscaphirhynchus sp. and hybrids (sterlets and sturgeons)
Alburnoides bipunctatus, Schneider
Ambloplites rupestris, Rock bass
Ameiurus sp. (coldwater ameiurid catfishes, including the bullhead, Ameirus nebulosus)
Aspius aspius, Asp
Chalcaburnus chalcoides,
Danubian bleak
Chrondrostoma nasus, Nase
Chrondrostoma toxostoma, Toxostome or French nase
Ctenopharyngodon idella, Grass carp
Hypophthalmichthys molitrix,
Silver carp
Ictalurus sp. (coldwater ictalurid catfishes, including the Channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus)
Leuciscus souffia, Blageon
Lota lota, Burbot
Micropterus salmoides, Large mouthed bass
Mylopharyngodon piceus, Black or Snail-eating carp
Oncorhynchus mykiss (Rainbow trout or Steelhead)
Oncorhynchus sp. (Pacific trout)
Polyodon spathula and Psephurus gladius (paddlefishes)
Pseudorasbora parva, Clicker barb or Topmouth gudgeon
Rhodeus sericeus, Bitterling
Salmo salar (Non-anadromous, landlocked Salmon)
Silurus sp. (coldwater silurid catfishes including the Wels, Silurus glanis)
Stizostedion sp., Zander
Vimba vimba, Vimba

Which ones are in the amendment for England?
Barbus sp. (Barbel species, excluding the native Barbus barbus)
Catostomus commersoni, Common white sucker
Channa argus, Northern snakehead
Coregonus sp. (Whitefishes, excluding the native species C. lavaretus and C.albula)
Cycleptus elongatus, Blue sucker
Cyprinella (Notropsis) lutrensis, Red shiner or Rainbow dace
Esox sp. (Pikes, excluding the native E. lucius)
Hucho sp. (Danubian Salmon or Taimen)
Lepomis sp. (Pumpkinseeds, sunfish, sunbass, crappies, bluegills and other Lepomis sp.)
Leucaspius delineatus, Motherless minnow
Misgurnus fossilis, Weather loach
Morone sp. (Striped bass, White bass and Morone hybrids)
Myxocyprinus asiaticus, Chinese sailfin sucker
Perca sp. (Perch species excluding the native P. fluviatilis)
Phoxinus (Chrosomus) eos, Northern red-belly dace
Phoxinus (Chrosomus) erythrogaster, Southern red-belly dace
Pimephales promelas, Rosy red minnow or Fathead minnow
Rhinichthys atratulus, Blacknose dace
Salmo marmoratus (Marbled trout)
Salvelinus sp. (Charr species, including the American Brook trout, but excluding the native Salvelinus alpinus)
Umbra krameri, European mudminnow
Umbra pygmaea, Eastern mudminnow
Zacco platypus, Pale chub

ok thanks for that

so if i had just what u said, i would need some fancy fish in here what could i have???? i just dont want the goldfish

so rudd are the only ones that are ok..
why not the tench it it because of the size they grow to
if i had one small perch would it really cause that much of a problem i really like the perch...

also what is, Comets...

perch are territorial for a start and will attack any other fish invading its space
i have seen it happen in a freinds tank he had 5 perch around 8 oz in weight in a 7ft tank.....took them 3 days to kill each other as well as the 3 roach he had
1 perch left at the end of it...that died anyway

bad idea full stop

goldfish,weather loach,gudgeon yes

koi,tench,barbel, perch NOOOOO!!

perch and barbel aint even good in a garden pond

what are commets..
coldwater fish in tanks seems so boring just with gold fish tho

loates123 said:
what are commets..
coldwater fish in tanks seems so boring just with gold fish tho
Comets are another kind of goldfish.

If you think coldwater fish (that are suitable for tank) are boring, why not go for tropical? You could set up a very nice tropical tank and there's lots of variety in terms of size, colour and temprement that would work well.

I have a 4ft tank and until recently I had goldfish in it but I didn't think it was big enough for them and gave them away to someone with a pond. I now have it as a tropical tank and have kept my weather loaches in it.

I seriously hope we have talked you out of keeping those fish. It's really not a good idea.

:)

You've got to be kidding. All those fish in a 4-foot long tank? You'd be luck to take care of 4 goldfish long term in a tank that size. You need a 40-foot long tank to try all the species shown in the pictures.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back