Can I Keep 4 Cories In A 10 Gallon With Neon Tetras?(And A Possible Gh

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishingInTheAir42

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my first fish tank, and I want to know if 4 cories can live with neon tetras and maybe a ghost shrimp. I will probably have 5 neons, if that helps at all. I'll have regular water changes(25% each week) and a good filter.Also, what kind of plants do I need? I'm going to have gravel,definitely. Sorry for all the rambling, I'm very excited! :)
(Yes, I researched)

FishingInTheAir42 said:
I am about to start my first fish tank, and I want to know if 4 cories can live with neon tetras and maybe a ghost shrimp. I will probably have 5 neons, if that helps at all. I'll have regular water changes(25% each week) and a good filter.Also, what kind of plants do I need? I'm going to have gravel,definitely. Sorry for all the rambling, I'm very excited!
smile.png

(Yes, I researched)

First comment is on the intended substrate.  If you want corys, definitely have sand.  As someone who kept corys over fine gravel for a couple decades, I can assure you this is not the best for the fish.  If you do have sand, and then want corys, select five or six.  Corys are social fish, that live in groups of hundreds, and with less than 5-6 this they will almost inevitably be stressed.  Even more would be much better, but you must remember the small tank size.  Some species grow larger than some others, so provided you do not have the larger I would even suggest seven.  If you go with the dwarf species, 9-12 would be needed and absolutely sand.

I would up the neon tetras too, six is again minimum but shoaling fish are always "happier" with more, and these are not active fish with high bioloads so I would say seven.  Especially with plants which helps water quality.

Concerning the plants, you want to stay with relatively small ones.  Sand and smaller plants will give the appearance of more space.  A couple chunks of wood help.  Floating plants are always good choices with forest fish as they help[ shade the light.  I might have some suggestions on species when I know the data on the light.

Byron.

Thanks for the tips Byron!I wasn't sure about sand because I heard it messes with the ph levels, but now I know. What type of sand should I use?

FishingInTheAir42 said:
Thanks for the tips Byron!I wasn't sure about sand because I heard it messes with the ph levels, but now I know. What type of sand should I use?

Inert sand, like inert gravel, will not mess with water chemistry.  Only sand (or gravel) composed of minerals like calcium will affect water chemistry.  The pH will normally fluctuate in an aquarium, depending upon various factors.  But inert sand is not going to influence this any more than inert gravel.

I use play sand, as it is extremely safe (in all aspects--just a moment ago someone posted about the health warnings on pool filter sand, but these do not apply to play sand) and not rough.

Byron.

Most reactions

Back