Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can anyone ID these baby snails?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates, Amphibians & Aquatic Rep' started by Angelotter, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Angelotter

Angelotter New Member

As far as I know I only have one adult snail in my tank, a zebra nerite. But these tiny snail have appeared on my drift wood and they don't look like nerite(plus this is a freshwater tank and I've heard they need brackish water to reproduce). I believe they came from those eggs on the driftwood? I'd like to know what they are for curiosity sake, because I've never seen so many babies before. I've tried looking up the ID but I haven't seen any adults.

Attached Files:

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

They are Malaysian Liverbearer Snails.

In my opinion, they are a pain in the blank. I would kill them all if I could but everyone else on here loves them. They annoy the hell out of me because they spread rapidly, are hard to kill, and eat fish eggs.

#2 Colin_T, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Ch4rlie

Ch4rlie Unlicensed Moderating Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Retired Moderator

They do look somewhat like MTS but don’t think they are tbh.

I have loads of MTS and they don’t look quite like that.

Maybe these are a variation of mts but more likely to be a type of common snail.

Some folks don’t like snails like ColinT but I am a fan of these MTS as they do wonders for the substrate and are a natural addition to the aquarium.

Over feeding will likely result in a population boom of snails so do keep an eye on how much food you add to the tank and this will help keep the snail population in check.

There are various methods in helping to get rid of snails so a little google search will help you get an idea of what you may wish to do if you want to eliminate snails from your tank.