2nd opinion on snail ID

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I found a new snail species in my tank earlier I'm guessing it hitchhiked on a few plants I got off Etsy a month or two back. I've been using the snail ID thread and I'm assuming it's a ramshorn snail (Planispiral shell look) but would prefer a 2nd opinion. The tank is already teaming with pond snails (Lymnaeidae)

Attachments

• snail 1.png
    snail 1.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 21
  • snail 2.png
    snail 2.png
    547.8 KB · Views: 12
A side picture would be most helpful for a better view.
However, your snail is sinistral (coiled to the left), as opposed to dextral (to the right). With that shape, and being sinistral, it is certainly a snail in the family Physidae (people call them ‘pond snails’, but common names suck), most likely Physella acuta.
Your snail is not planispiral, which is a term meaning that all shell whorls are on the same plane, not one over the other around the axis (columella). It probably came with the plants, either as egg, or as a baby, and probably not alone.

You were right about it not being alone found a couple more. Caught the biggest one out and got some better pics

Attachments

• snail 1.png
    snail 1.png
    463 KB · Views: 4
  • snail 2.png
    snail 2.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 4
You need to show a picture showing the aperture of the snail (the hole from which the foot comes out. You need to pick it up, and turn it). All the pictures you have shown are of the same view of the snail.
After seeing your last pictures I am doubting the statement I made before about your snail, and would like to correct it or confirming it.

The foot came out of the right side. hard to tell because of the colour

Attachments

• snail.png
    snail.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 3
You need to show a picture showing the aperture of the snail (the hole from which the foot comes out. You need to pick it up, and turn it). All the pictures you have shown are of the same view of the snail.
After seeing your last pictures I am doubting the statement I made before about your snailand would like to correct it or confirming it.

Sorry for the double post. Please disregard my previous (wrong) id. It is certainly a Planorbid snail (ramshorn is one of many common names), possibly Planorbella. When crushed against the glass, they make excellent food for fish. It is not recommended to crush them by hand, as many fw snails vector diseases.

Thanks for the help! I doubt I'd be able to remove all of them as it's a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding spots. I'll let nature take its course and see what happens.

Most reactions

Back