Build An Algae Scrubber

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ginty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone no the cheapest/easiest way to make a algae scrubber.? (Not algae scrapper)

Just incase you need it. I have a external fluval 206 in a 110litre Tank. I have high nitrate in my tap water and i was thinking of doing a nitrate reactor but someone said a algae scrubber may be better.

yep, i have one simple way on how to make one.

things you will need is a small tub, airstone, air pump, airline tubing, a lamp, and some plastic mesh

depending on your size tank depends on the size tub u want to get, all this can be placed inside your tank

picture is easier to describe it with so here

just place it on the side of the tank hang it over the top or use suction cups to fix it to the side, put lamp on a timer for a long long time over 12hr but less than 24, and point it at the mesh best to keep lamp small low power, and directional like a desk lamp so it doesn't effect the rest of the tank, to help things use sandpaper to roughen up the plastic mesh to help algae growth over a week or two u will get some algae when the algae gets to much and starts to break away or come off then take it out and give it a light clean

the sort of plastic mesh u need looks like this 
http://www.gursewingmachines.com/plastic-canvas-14-count-14367-hd?gclid=CJHR1LWYg8ACFcbJtAodFz8Ayg

hope this helps

The previous post is a great way to do this. Alternatively you can float plastic mesh on the surface with a spray bar and standard fluorescent lighting to achieve a horizontal algae scrubber. Nitrate reactors are also highly successful if you fancy some DIY or have a spare canister lying around.

Good DIY thread for nitrate reactor and confirmation that Seachem DeNitrate really works
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=387870

not bad let us know how it goes 

I hope that I am allowed to post this but UaruJoey on YouTube has loads of brilliant DIY videos including how to make an algae scrubber as I was planning on making one myself.

However what you have built looks great!
good.gif

awesome hope the repair is alright do you have any silicon glue?

Yes that's what I fixed it with. I used king british. I glued both inside and outside of the overflow joint so hopefully the leak will stop.

Wow I never heard of this before! I'm so glad I joined the forum as I learn about new things every day.
Thanks for making this a post, as it probably would've taken me forever to even hear about an Algae Scrubber.

I never
BettaBrightEyes said:
Wow I never heard of this before! I'm so glad I joined the forum as I learn about new things every day.Thanks for making this a post, as it probably would've taken me forever to even hear about an Algae Scrubber.
To be honest i had never heard of one either. I was going to make a nitrate reacter just to reduce my nitrates a bit, then someone said do an algae scrubber. So after a months research and many youtube videos i came up with this. I just hope it works. :)

Love the scrubber! Please keep us updated with the affect this has on your nitrates :) You could get the best of both worlds by limiting the flow rate and filling some of that container with de-nitrate media.. a hybrid nitrate scrubreactor!

any updates on this scrubber had any algae growing yet on it?

NadeZ said:
Love the scrubber! Please keep us updated with the affect this has on your nitrates :) You could get the best of both worlds by limiting the flow rate and filling some of that container with de-nitrate media.. a hybrid nitrate scrubreactor!
Thanks for the tip. I feel this would be an excellent idea. When i reset my algae scrubber up because i had a small leak, i shall do this.

Zikofski said:
any updates on this scrubber had any algae growing yet on it?
im setting it back up tonight. Ill keep you all updated.

I think i may have a slight problem. I think i may have to slow the flow down. Any ideas how to do this? My powerhead hasnt got any controls on it to slow the flow down.

do you use external pipe if so you can get a tap from ebay

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back