Brown patches on plants and tank

roberto

Reaction score
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice, I have an estalished aquarium which I recently added plants to. I did do a bit of research on adding plants but found nothing of use to me (before I found the sticky above) so I just added 2 plants my LFS recommended me. I also bought a 20W AquaGlow light for it.

The last few days brown patches have been appearing on the leaves and its now spread to the side of the tank. I haven't added any fertilizer or anything, and I was thinking it was some sought of algae. What should I do about it? I have a few pics Here of the plants in question.

My tank is 70L (19G), and my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings are all nil. I have an Aquaclear mini filter, 5 Tiger Barbs and 2 Zebra Danios.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

I'm having the same problem but i think these brown patches are brown algae..Actually mine is worse than what u have...Are you fertilizing or putting plant food supplements?

i believe from this you have a tropical tank, you could get some algae eater fish but if you only have a small amount of algae its not worth it, i hav got snails to reduce my algae problem but i dont know if that is a good idea in that tank situation. try scraping the algae off the tank sides, i am not sure wot to do about the plant :(

This probably is brown algae or surely some variant of algae. It appeared in my 15 gal tank when I added plants. But now, it has completely disappeared. I even saw it on the gravel, tank walls,rocks, everything. Once the plants start growing and using up nutrients, the algae will usually die out. I also have an Otocinclus (algae-eater) and he helps too.

If it appears on the gravel, it starts to look really bad. I simply overturned the gravel so the algae doesn't get light anymore. I never saw it again.

How much light do you have, Mostly brown algae does away all by itself if there is enough light in the tank..

You mean to say, I can get rid of brown algae by increasing the wattage of my light? :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back