Brown growth covering my tank

Otos can be a problem to keep alive. They just seem to turn up dead for no apparent reason. I have also found that anytime I give them veggies as a treat (cucumbers of zuchini) they quit eating algae for several days. I guess they get spoiled. They really haven't done much to control my algae. When they first went in, they jumped on the flat leaf plants and had them spotless but then they quit eating it. They also won't touch blue green algae. I won't get any more after these are gone. I bought siamese algae eaters for my 75 gallon and am considering getting a couple for my 29 gallon. to clean it up and then move them over to the 75.

smb7676 said:
(ottos) if they make it a couple weeks then you'll never have a prob. I guess some places that catch them wild use poison up stream and nets down and this is pretty bad for them as anyone with any sense would guess. My LFS has a good handle on suppliers and rarly sells fish that aren't going to make it.
Ottos are usually hardy unless as the quote says they are caught with poison. The effects of this are supposed to happen within a week or two. With any fish they have different temperments but from what I have seen and heard ottos are a good algea eater. siamese algae eaters are a great fish to but in small tanks I perfer ottos. But you are right ottos do stay away from some things such as hair algea. Its all in the eye of the fish keeper haha.
Good luck !!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back