Brown growth covering my tank

newland

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

My main tank has started to get spores of brown algie on the glass.
I've wiped the glass clean about 6 days ago but i've noticed its comming back.

Is this just something i should live with or should I do something about it?

Cheers

My 75G has been set up for almost a year and a half, I was told that this brown stuff was common in newer tanks....I wouldn't consider mine 'new' anymore. I still get it on the glass and fake plants....and you're right, cleaning it off only brings it back in a few days. I also get it pretty bad on the gravel itself...just days after a w/c.

I had read a couple of things on here but not yet tried it....one person a year ago maybe said real driftwood in the tank may help. And others said live plants live off this stuff..........I'm just afraid to deal with live plants....I barely keep my house plants alive.......lol

Will be interested to hear opinions on this thread......because I'm pretty tired of it myself.

Oh, someone else had told me otos are about the only guys who will eat the brown algae. I bought a few once, and they did attack that brown stuff. But they also didn't stay alive. Of course I had pictus catfish at the time....and probably wasn't a good thing for the otos.....

I have guppies, 2 mollies, and a bunch of trumpet snails. THey seem to have picked the algae off pretty good, I had a LOAD of it after I finished cycling. I say try the trumpet snails if you like the looks of them. Although I think the fish had a hand in it, too...

I use ottos and they do a great job. I have not had problems with them but I have heard if they make it a couple weeks then you'll never have a prob. I guess some places that catch them wild use poison up stream and nets down and this is pretty bad for them as anyone with any sense would guess. My LFS has a good handle on suppliers and rarly sells fish that aren't going to make it. So I'd say go otto they are fun to watch and they are all business. Other than that I was told that brown algea means a lack of light so if you increase your watts it may go away but if you go to far you'll get green algea. ALGEA SUCKS no matter what color but at least green looks like stuff isn't decomposing

Otos. Plain and simple. They're nice and small, so they aren't too much of a stocking stopper.

And you don't really have to worry about keeping them well fed, because if they're hungry, they'll find something.

Cheers for the feedback.

Whats a good price for an otos?
Also will they live with plattys and a simiese fighter?

newland said:
Cheers for the feedback.

Whats a good price for an otos?
Also will they live with plattys and a simiese fighter?
Newland
ottos are btw 1.99-2.49 here and yes they should be okay in your tank let us know how it goes. They are a really great fish. There are also zebra ottos but they are more money about 9.99 around here but the markings are cool

I think I may try some again. One thing I DO remember about those ottos, my goodness for little guys they sure poop alot! They always had nice long strings hanging off of them. But they're kinda cute, and slow moving (well mine were at least! Not fast swimmers).

I think when I bought them they were about $3 a piece.

Interesting link about the brown algae. My tap water's nitrates is 40....which I think is kinda high. But the tank is stable at 40. I read on there where lack of oxygen...I have a 75 g with two filters running......could/should I perhaps get a bubblewall or something? Maybe more movement and oxygen in the water could help. I have the light on about 12 hours per day....but maybe the bulb in teh light could use replacing....

If I could be rid of the brown algae in our tank, I'd have nothing to ever complain about with it!

How much light do you have (in Watts)? Its not the duration but the intensity that matters.

its only a little 8W tube.

The tank is only 20 litres.

I've heard that leaving the light off would help prevent the algie spreading.
is this wort trying.

The light is usually on for a good 15 hours.

watch your plants cuz they need light to. If you go to to little light you may start to kill them. :crazy:

newland said:
its only a little 8W tube.

The tank is only 20 litres.

I've heard that leaving the light off would help prevent the algie spreading.
is this wort trying.

The light is usually on for a good 15 hours.
I would recommend reducing the duration to 10-12 hrs. And like a lot of others have said get hold of a few algae eaters.

Do you know if the tube is a compact flourescent one? One of those coiled up things.

I don't think its a compact. Its a basic 12" tube.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back