Brown Algae On Plants In New Tank

Mostlydave

Reaction score
Hello, I've got brown algae growing on my plants in my fist planted aquarium. it's also starting to spread in my tank. It looks really bad and since it's on my plants leaves I'm thinking that it's preventing them from getting the light they need. Is there any way to get rid of the algae. I've read brown algae is common in new tanks but I don't want to wait for it to just go away on it's own. I'd also appreciate if anyone could ID my plants. I bought my hood used and the glass between the florescent light and water is clouded up and I can't get it clean even with steel wool and a razor. I'm thinking about picking up some acrylic at Lowes tomorrow to replace the glass since I read that brown algae can be caused by to little light. Will any clear acrylic work? I run my light for 12 hours a day and the tank is never in direct sunlight btw. Thanks for any help any one can offer!

Photo%20Dec%2021%2C%208%2056%2008%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2021%2C%208%2056%2023%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2021%2C%208%2056%2036%20PM.jpg

running your lights 12 hours a day is most likely why you have algae. you should reduce your photoperiod to 7 hours. also what are your water parameters and what kind or light are you running. one more thing im pretty sure that isnt brown algae.

WARNING: turn down your screen colour :lol:
agree with above, try reducing your light times? pretty sure i've got this type of algae on a piece of wood that's sitting pretty much on my bulb.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back