Brown algae growing ON my plants

Sky042

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have brown algae growing ON My amazon swords. and my horwort is looking kinda brownish. Could temperature be a problem I've had the temp up at about 84 and been having to aerate due to treating an ich infection and since then the algae seems to be taking over.

I have a 46g with 90w of 9325K light.
NO3 is between 10-20ppm

The temperature probably isn't a significant cause.

This is the tank that just finished cycling, right? If so, I'm guessing this brown algae is "diatom algae" (looks sort of like rust or slime) rather than hair-y algae. Is that correct?

Bol said:
The temperature probably isn't a significant cause.

This is the tank that just finished cycling, right? If so, I'm guessing this brown algae is "diatom algae" (looks sort of like rust or slime) rather than hair-y algae. Is that correct?
Yes the tank completed its cycle roughly 3 weeks ago. I thought the algae usually happened during the spike of the nitrates though?

If it's diatoms (aka 'diatom alage'), which I suspect it is, it's a pretty common occurence in new tanks. That is, there's probably nothing "wrong", as far as your plants are concerned.

For what it's worth, in my tanks, it usually shows up ... three or four weeks after cycling :)

It'll usually go away on its own after two to four weeks (and when it does, chances are that 'green spot algae' is the next thing you'll see -- also normal).

Otos like to munch on diatoms, by the way.

Bol said:
If it's diatoms (aka 'diatom alage'), which I suspect it is, it's a pretty common occurence in new tanks. That is, there's probably nothing "wrong", as far as your plants are concerned.

For what it's worth, in my tanks, it usually shows up ... three or four weeks after cycling :)

It'll usually go away on its own after two to four weeks (and when it does, chances are that 'green spot algae' is the next thing you'll see -- also normal).

Otos like to munch on diatoms, by the way.
know anything that likes to munch on green spot algae? I've got that growing on my 5g.

I wish. :)

Green spot algae (as you probably know) is incredibly tough. I don't think any animal will eat it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back