Bronze Cory

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Common Name: Bronze Cory, Albino Cory (for the albino variety)

Scientific Name: Corydoras aeneus, previously Hoplosternum aeneum

Origin: Trinidad (from Planet Catfish)

Family: Callichthyidae

Average size: 3 inches

Care: These cute critters couldn't be easier to look after. All they really need is good water (as with any fish), somewhere to hide and food. Oh yes, and other cories, as they like to be in groups of 6+. Bronze cories also come in albino, and are one of the few readily available albinos on the market. They are very peaceful fish, and will never nip any other fish. They can also be kept in cooler water, providing they are properly accimaltised (as most you find are kept in tropical conditions). Not to fussy about water params, and are a fairly hardy begginers fish.

Feeding: As with most cories, anything. Suggested foods include- flakes, algae pellets/wafers, bloodworm, cucumber, courgette. Just make sure the food actually reaches the bottom.

Sexing and Breeding: Sexing- Females are larger than the males, and grow larger as they bacome full of eggs. There is also a difference in the fins, but this is less reliable as you cannot always see the fins.

Breeding- Generally easy to breed
1. Condition the cories for about a week with live food until the females are laden with eggs.
2. Do a 20 ish percent water change on the tank with cooler water.
3. Leave them.

The cories *should* go into spawning behaviour, which involves the T position. The eggs are laid on the sides of the tank, the floor... Anywhere really. After the fry hatch, feed on MW, BBS, Liquifry, or whatever, until big enough to take flake. Viola! Your own baby cories. For a ore detailed account, check the profile on other cories.

These are the best corys I have had to watch
They have been the most active breed I have had

Attachments

• 100_1761_30_.JPG
    100_1761_30_.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 171
Think the part about the food isn't totally correct. As all Corys these species is 95% carnivore and need high protein food instaed of algaewafers, cumcumber, courget, aso . Mine even won't eat the last two mentioned vegs. I do feed them algaewafers but surely not as main food !!!

Sorry to jump in again, but I do so cause I had my doubts about the mentioned "Origin".  
Trinidad is mentioned as "Type Locality" at PC, that means the species is first described by a specimen found overthere (Had to ask for myself BTW)
Aeneus is found all over South America though and has several appearances (Keeping 4 of those myself including Albino).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back