Dried leaves in a Cory set-up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all my Cory loving friends!

I'm back in the hobby after a 10 year absence. The entire reason I am back is to have a set up that is Cory focused. They are the top priority in my tank and everything needs to revolve around what they like best. My set up is 110 L (24 G) and the footprint is 81cm x 35cm (32" x 14"). It's currently on a fishless cycle and the substrate is sand and x2 bits of fairly large bogwood, both chosen to be able to provide some cover/shelter for the Cory's. Other tank mates yet to be decided on. Plan is for a planted tank. Vallis, moss balls, simple stuff, but fully planted.

Anyone experienced in, or knowledgeable about adding dried leaves to sit on the sand? I don't want to confuse the Cory's or make their life harder. I'm not talking about one or two perfectly formed larger leaves, but there would be multiple "bits" of dried leaves scattered. I like my substrate to look natural. Not too interested in a perfectly clean and tidy substrate (unless my preferences cause problems for the Corydoras). If it matters on types of Cory, I am going to start simple. Albino and Bronze.

Thoughts? I'm also keen on water chemistry impact of dried leaves if anyone knows? I live in London UK, and my tap water is hard (not sure how hard, yet to test), and the pH would be somewhere between 7.5 to 8.0 (yet to test).

Thanks.

You need to ascertain the number for the GH. And the pH. And KH or Alkalinity too. These are for the source (tap) water. Check the web site of the water authority if you are on city water.

Corydoras habitats in SA are sand. Some have mulm on the sand, some leaf litter. When the rains come and flood the surrounding forest, the fish move onto what was previously dry ground. This will always be littered with leaves. Point is, cories are not afraid of leaves.

Make sure you have open areas of sand. This allows them to filter feed naturally, without having to push the leaves aside--which they will do. The other advantage of leaves is that as they decompose they provide infusoria which is an excellent first food for fry of all fish, and the cories will graze this too.

The decomposition of the leaves produces CO2 which produces carbonic acid and the pH naturally lowers or becomes more acidic. The extent to which this will occur depends upon the GH, KH and pH of the source water. Thus you need to know these numbers so you know what to expect. The higher the GH/KH, the more buffering of the pH preventing fluctuations. The latter are not good for fish if the pH swings up and down a lot, but that is unlikely to occur here. London I am certain has hard water, from other threads, so don't expect any significant lowering of the pH.

You need to ascertain the number for the GH. And the pH. And KH or Alkalinity too. These are for the source (tap) water. Check the web site of the water authority if you are on city water.

Corydoras habitats in SA are sand. Some have mulm on the sand, some leaf litter. When the rains come and flood the surrounding forest, the fish move onto what was previously dry ground. This will always be littered with leaves. Point is, cories are not afraid of leaves.

Make sure you have open areas of sand. This allows them to filter feed naturally, without having to push the leaves aside--which they will do. The other advantage of leaves is that as they decompose they provide infusoria which is an excellent first food for fry of all fish, and the cories will graze this too.

The decomposition of the leaves produces CO2 which produces carbonic acid and the pH naturally lowers or becomes more acidic. The extent to which this will occur depends upon the GH, KH and pH of the source water. Thus you need to know these numbers so you know what to expect. The higher the GH/KH, the more buffering of the pH preventing fluctuations. The latter are not good for fish if the pH swings up and down a lot, but that is unlikely to occur here. London I am certain has hard water, from other threads, so don't expect any significant lowering of the pH.
Thanks Byron. Been reading up on all this over the past hour online. Good point about some clear areas of sand, I'll watch out for that if I go ahead. I've just ordered an API kit for GH and KH and I will check my water suppliers stats as well, nice tip thanks! I am aware that if my water is as hard and alkaline as I think, there won't be a huge impact in softening it (especially with a high KH I think?). Obviously, with Cory's, it would be nice if I could bring the hardness down a bit. I'll post the results on here on Friday.

Btw all, I found this interesting link, and if you scroll down is has some research results on the impact of different leaves on your set-up (chemistry and water colour). I am sure these figures are just an approx. guide and it's not an exact science EDIT: I don't plan on collecting them being in London, I would buy them online (after more research).

Thanks Byron. Been reading up on all this over the past hour online. Good point about some clear areas of sand, I'll watch out for that if I go ahead. I've just ordered an API kit for GH and KH and I will check my water suppliers stats as well, nice tip thanks! I am aware that if my water is as hard and alkaline as I think, there won't be a huge impact in softening it (especially with a high KH I think?). Obviously, with Cory's, it would be nice if I could bring the hardness down a bit. I'll post the results on here on Friday.

Btw all, I found this interesting link, and if you scroll down is has some research results on the impact of different leaves on your set-up (chemistry and water colour). I am sure these figures are just an approx. guide and it's not an exact science EDIT: I don't plan on collecting them being in London, I would buy them online (after more research).

That's a good article, I have posted it a while back. The question of leaves comes up now and then.

I've just gone for a similar set up in terms of size and going for cories, I just have two large Indian almond leaves so not quite the same as what you're aiming for but I notice my pygmy cories especially like to graze on the leaf surface. Look forward to seeing your setup!

I've just gone for a similar set up in terms of size and going for cories, I just have two large Indian almond leaves so not quite the same as what you're aiming for but I notice my pygmy cories especially like to graze on the leaf surface. Look forward to seeing your setup!
Thanks! Will get some photo's up in about a weeks time.

61ONWG5wztL._AC_SY450_.jpg

These came today. Not sure if they are the best purchase, because they are one of the highest tanin releasing leaves. I like the colour effect in an aquarium, always have, and the Cory's will probably like it (when I get them), but it's going to be a fairly heavily planted tank as well, and I'll have to be careful the tanins don't reduce the effectiveness of my lighting for the plants (I guess?). I will try to strike a happy medium. The leaves are big, 8 inch x 5 inch and you are only supposed to put one in per 100 L per week. I know these ones can impact on water parameters, but my water is so hard and alkaline (plus a high KH) that I probably don't have to worry about that????? plus I am still fishless cycling. However, the instructions also say the full impact on the parameters will not be known for 1 or 2 weeks, hence adding one leaf per 100 L per week. I don't want to get too experimental and cavalier???

These are also on the way (mixture of oak and beech leaves)

s-l1600.jpg

These are what I have, we have similar size tank and similar water parameters (I'm in Surrey so not a million miles from you). Haven't noticed any drastic change apart from I thought that a few days after I put one leaf in that my ammonia went up a little, but in hindsight I'm not sure if it was that or something else as I haven't had it since.

These are what I have, we have similar size tank and similar water parameters (I'm in Surrey so not a million miles from you). Haven't noticed any drastic change apart from I thought that a few days after I put one leaf in that my ammonia went up a little, but in hindsight I'm not sure if it was that or something else as I haven't had it since.
Do you mean the Catappa / Almond Leaves? Did you write about that in your thread or did I miss it? We are almost like twins in our set up's, apart from the skull LOL. :fun:

Do you mean the Catappa / Almond Leaves? Did you write about that in your thread or did I miss it? We are almost like twins in our set up's, apart from the skull LOL. :fun:
Yep those leaves, can't remember if i wrote about it in my thread off the top of my head. Haha our setups are weirdly similar, but I will defend my skull forever!

Within 12 hours of adding x2 Almond leaves (see above). Very noticeable tanin colouration, which I love and the fish will love, but might need to rethink a bit as I want a heavily planted tank, all be it, easy to grow plants.

As they decompose, the leaves produce infusoria. Your pygmys area probably eating that.

That would make sense. They seem to like grazing on most things in the tank, they're very busy and interesting to watch! Would definitely recommend some @AlexTimothy147 if you have room.
Pygmy corys are a fun little fish. They are a lot of fun to watch. They do have a drawback in that they are somewhat shy and timid. They hide a lot. I never see all of mine at once. But I see enough of them to be worth it.

Pygmy corys are a fun little fish. They are a lot of fun to watch. They do have a drawback in that they are somewhat shy and timid. They hide a lot. I never see all of mine at once. But I see enough of them to be worth it.
It's funny mine are almost the opposite, I have 12, rarely see all of them together but there's usually at least 8 of them out and about at any time. My larger corys tend to hide when I come up to the tank but these little guys don't mind and sometimes come up to the glass. I was in two minds about getting them as I was thinking of something a bit more colourful and visually interesting originally but am glad I went with them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back