broken back ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fat bob

Reaction score
Recently I lost my black lancer catfish. Before it died however it spent a week lolling around on his side appearing to exhibit a broken backbone as he was bent at almost a right angle. During this time he lost all his colour. This afternoon my Ram has started doing the same. He hasn't been well for a week or two anyway but I am really worried I am gonna loose him because I cannot seem to find any ailment that lists this 'broken' symptom.

Can anyone help ?

Catfish don't usualy get TB. That's very unusual though possible. If your ram actualy has a bent spine, with the catfish having died from the same thing, there is nothing I can think of (besides coincidence where they both got injured in the same way) other than TB to explain it. Loss of color, lethargy, wasting away, a malnutritioned look and several symptoms common to several other diseases might also indicate TB. (Note that deformity is also a cause of bent spines but these appear from birth - not suddenly in grown fish) If the ram does appear to have TB, you will want to try treating with a strong antibiotic - prefferably something added to food. The chances of the fish pulling through are slim but it's worth it. You should realy euthanise fish suspected of TB once they begin to show signs of a bent spine. Isolation is highly reccomended to prevent spread but all fish in the same tank or for which you have used the same equipment (including things like nets, gravel vacs. etc) may be carriers so you need to watch them closely and treat and/or euthanise as soon as (definite - don't kill fish with ich or constipation etc!) symptoms appear.

I would also urge you to wear gloves at all times when working with any tank suspected of having TB as it can infect humans. If you experience swelling or anything similar to an elergic reaction on your hands or anywhere where water from your tank may have come in contact with you, go to your doctor and make sure you explain that you have a fish tank. Fish TB is not deadly or anything, but catching it early will save you lots of pain. Oh and don't panic, it realy isn't that bad, it's just good to take precautions - many people actualy believe only the marine version of fish TB can be passed on to humans anyway.

Research fish TB/mycobacteriosis thoroughly on google.com and this forum before taking action but do so quickly so that any chances of saving infected fish are not lost.

Good luck with finding what's realy wrong with your ram and I hope it recovers soon.

Mycobacterium species (Tuberculosis)

A. Gram positive, acid fast rods (M. marinum, M. chelonei and M. fortuitum are the most common Mycobacterium species involved.)

B. All species of fish are affected. This disease affects both saltwater and freshwater aquariums.

C. Clinical signs of tuberculosis are quite variable. The most common signs are anorexia, emaciation, vertebral deformities, exophthalmus, and loss of normal coloration. Numerous variably sized granulomas are often observed in various organs throughout the body. Often numerous acid-fast bacteria are observed in the granulomas.

D. The aquatic environment is believed to be the source of initial infection with fish becoming infected by ingestion of bacterial contaminated feed or debris. Once an aquarium is infected with this disease, it is difficult to remove except by depopulation of the aquarium and disinfecting the tank. Remember this is a zoonotic disease (atypical mycobacteriosis).

E. Atypical mycobacteriosis may manifest itself as a single cutaneous nodule on the hand or finger or may produce a regional granulomatous lymphadenitis of the lymphatics near the original nodule. Occasional local osteomyelitis and arthritis may also occur.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back