Breeding and rearing betta fry

When they hatch they're beyond tiny,minuscule.

Here are some 3 week olds of mine, less than half an inch.
Baby Bettas

I love that chart, but it's not all that accurate since size varies so much in spawns. My largest 3 week olds are actually the same size as the 6 week olds in the chart :S

I am breeding my betta's for the third time in three years I prefer to breed them once a year, I have a female and a male who both live in a 6 foot tank with other fish, guppies, lyre tail mollies, silver sharks etc.

The male does not fight with the female at all, they all get along peacefully, I set up the breeding tank when breeding them, put male and female in. (Naturally in wild, males will seek females), they are still peaceful in there as in main tank. male will chase her, but not to the extent of killing her, just a few nips on tail, then nest building commences, male stop's chasing her, it's when the actual nest it finished and female is happy, she get agressive, male submits by staying still in mid water, female will go to his body position herself vertical then he wrap's around her and eggs fall, he and she collect the eggs and blow them into the nest, even when egg fall to bottom they will go around and collect them then I remove her and he does the rest.

wuvmybetta said:
I love that chart, but it's not all that accurate since size varies so much in spawns. My largest 3 week olds are actually the same size as the 6 week olds in the chart :S
Yeah, your fry pictures made me nervous at first... but it turns out my spawn matches that chart exactly. You must have some kind of secret super baby food. :)

ok. i am totally new to this...but i had a comment as far as the siphoning went. a turkey baster to start the siphon is great or to use as a sipon itself if you have shallow enough water. hope that helps...it has helped me a TON. :nod:

Hi, I know this thread is a little old but GP needs some advice :*)... When they are ready for the containers, on average how many do you have per spawn???

Hi all,

Insted of eatin mircoworms tryin to syphon your tank get quite a long lenth of air line and put 1 end on the fish tank, get your bucket on the floor ready for the water... suck slowly on the ait line untill the water in the air line has got above your tanks water level and over the top of your tank and starts moving down the pipe.... at this point put your airline into the bucket and watch gravity do the rest :flex:

Good Look :thumbs:

Chris

ya munch thats how i do it, its also a good methud for tracking down and sucking up lil fry that excape into ur tank ( compleately safe, havn't lost ne yet ) :D

GodricPuffer said:
Hi, I know this thread is a little old but GP needs some advice :*)... When they are ready for the containers, on average how many do you have per spawn???
i believe wuv starts to jar her bettas at around 6 weeks. Unfournately with my spawn, its' hitting 7 and i still can't jar them. I believe you can once you start seeing aggression, or when they have their labryith organ in place.

I think the spawn number really varies. bkk got like 600 :p i think the avg is between 50-100, but don't listen to me on that :rolleyes:

wuvmybetta said:
Also, don't breed veiltail bettas.
Uhh, why not? I plan on selling my veiltails to people with good homes. How does breeding Veiltails contribute to the "Betta in a cup" buisness? I mean, if you sold them directly to a person who kept them in a cup permanantly, that would be different. I dont mean to sound rude but, it doesnt make sense. :/

StingrayKid said:
wuvmybetta said:
Also, don't breed veiltail bettas.
Uhh, why not? I plan on selling my veiltails to people with good homes. How does breeding Veiltails contribute to the "Betta in a cup" buisness? I mean, if you sold them directly to a person who kept them in a cup permanantly, that would be different. I dont mean to sound rude but, it doesnt make sense. :/
The reason for it is because you have no idea what size spawn you will have. Assume you have over 600 like Bkk did recently. Do you have that many friends? I don't. Also there is no market for VTs because the stores that sell them have private contracts with mass breeders and are not allowed to take yours in.

If you invest in a nice quality pair, you won't have problems getting rid of the fry.

edit~ here's another link that discusses some of this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=49147

Okay, I have a Veiltail with some crowntail in him making a nest right now. I'm also buying a Crowntail female soon. Will this spwan be too large?

That's the point, you have no way to know how large your spawn will be...you could have 30 or 300. :dunno: Even if you have a combtail with a CT, you're still going to end up with 50% combtails, which in the selling world are no more desirable then a VT.

I've heard that most of the spawn dies and about 20-30 come out as adults...And one thing though. All bettas are pretty much going to have the same amount of fry as the next. I have an LFS that will take my Bettas I don't want or, possibly buy them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back