Bottom feeders for hard alkaline community tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andrew waterson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for bottom feeders than would do well in a alkaline (pH 8.2) hard water (270ppm, GH 15) community tank
Its 160 liters, moderately planted and has guppies (all male) and will have dwarf neon rainbowfish in soon.

I'm looking for a good tank mate that will help with clean up. Eating food missed by the top feeders rather than algae management.

Cory's were my preference, but don't look to be suited to my water

Andy advice is much appreciated

Shrimp, captive bred bristlenose catfish, captive bred bronze cories should be ok but avoid wild caught cories.

Hi Colin,

What's your view on red cherry shrimp and dwarf rainbow fish, will they view them as a tasty snack?!
Bronze Cory's look like a good fit

Thanks!

Never kept cherry shrimp but rainbowfish will go after small shrimp. But if the fish are well fed and there are lots of plants the shrimp should be fine.

My water is very similar to yours, I have the exact same pH (except when large amounts of tannins), and my TDS are 300+ and I keep guppies and honey gouramis in it, along with red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and otocinclus catfish. None have any issues due to water, and I actually have 4 berried RCS in the tank now, but they do have a LOT of hiding places. I think I got lucky with the Otos, didnt lose any, over 5 months now. Not sure of their "natural habitat" pH, but they adapted to mine just fine, and the store I got them from has softened water too. Just be sure whatever you do, keep the pH consistent, I think they hate when it fluctuates a lot, more than it being a bit off their natural pH.

Thanks.
I think I'm going to look into red cherry shrimp.

In terms of hiding spaces.
Is plant cover better (i currently have a moderately planting level, but mostly tall plans like amazon sword's) or more stone shelf type cover (I have lava rock)?

Fine leaf plants are best for shrimp. Java Moss is a good choice and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) can be planted in the substrate and works well too.

My shrimp LOVE my hornwort! They also enjoy the christmas moss. If you have, or can acquire cholla wood, it's one of the best things you can do for RCS. It breaks down in the aquarium, and grows biofilm for them to graze on as it does. My giant piece of cholla probably has dozens of RCS in it, maybe hundreds if females dropped their berries yet. The same goes for indian almond leaves breaking down and providing food, and they enjoy hiding under the leaves as well. Of course, depending on how much you put in of either, and how its prepped, your water may turn tea colored from tannins, but its not harmful, actually beneficial for the fish and shrimp.

Put the sponges back in to block the filter inlets again. All 4 girls are now berried so I suspect "not enough shrimp" is never going to be a problem.
I wrote that on 25 May this year. My colony of 7 is now far too big to count. They aren't fussy as long as they have food and somewhere to hide if neccessay. Some live in the water sprite. Some live on the vals. A lot live under the driftwood and in a little pebble pool and a colony has established iteself in each of the filter compartments.

They also are not as sensitive as some shrimp (or some people suggest). I change 60% weekly and don't temperature match the water as long as the difference between old and new isn't massive (5-6C is fine).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back