Blue Ram Hiding

FishMum1207

Reaction score
Hi all,
Iā€™m new ish to fish keeping and after an initial pandemic of ich which killed off our cardinal tetras, I thought we were doing ok.
We have, however in the last 10 days lost our dwarf Goirami and a female betta. Both went very still and didnā€™t do an awful lot, no eating and just hiding at the top of the tankā€¦
I now have a ram doing the same, although he did come out to eat this morning and heā€™s hiding at the bottom rather than the top.

None of the fish have looked ill in terms of anything on their scales, the temperature and nitrates etc have been really stable and I do a thorough clean every 6-7 days, vacuuming the gravel and changing around 20% of the water.

All of the pets were purchased at our local pets at home store, as they are closest to home. The staff seemed really knowledgeable but are the fish from here just not made to last? Friends at work did advise against buying from there but as this started out as a hobby for my children we found it easier to buy from there.

Any help would be much appreciated. As far as I can tell thereā€™s no ammonia and nitrates are v low so Iā€™m not sure what else it could be.

Thanks

Do you have the readings for your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How big is your tank and what fish do you have left in it now? Did you add them all at the same time or gradually? Did you cycle the tank first or add the fish straight after setup?

Gourami and betta shouldn't be housed together as they will fight - whether this contributed to either/both dying is hard to say but seems the pets at home staff have misadvised you there.

Also it would be good to know your water hardness, if you don't have a test kit you should be able to find it by googling your water company's details. If you have any pictures of the tank you could upload that may also potentially help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back