Blood Ph

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShinySideUp

Fish Herder
Reaction score
And I thought controlling the pH of water was difficult....

...I have been watching a program on the TV called One Hour to Save Your life, mentioned in this program is 'acidosis' the causes of blood becoming acidic. This causes me (because I like to know everything!) to look at what the pH of blood is supposed to be and it turns out 'normal' is 7.41, acidic is 7.40 and alkali is 7.42 -- I want the test that measures pH that accurately for my fish tank!

I want the test that measures pH that accurately for my fish tank!
I have an PH meter made by Hana instruments.  An Educational grade instrument that has a resolution 0.01PH and an accuracy of _+/- 0.2.  http://hannainst.com/categories/ph-checkers-for-education/hi98100-checker-plus-ph-tester.html Its $41 but once you add in the calibration fluid, storage fluid, and cleaning fluid your total cost will be about $70.  I have enough fluid to last years (I purchased the smallest bottle I could find on there web site.  Takes about 5 minutes to stabilize.

Or you could go all out and get a combination TDS PH meter with the same resolution and an accuracy of +/-0.05.  for about $150 excluding the fluids but it uses the same fluids.  They probably have something even more accurate but its cost would be prohibitive.

I purchased it because I got tired of matching colors.  Most of the inaccuracy of the typical aquarium test kit is in the persons ability to match colors and the effect of different lights on the color matching.  Just the difference between an interior light and outdoor light can be at least 0.8PH.  I just hop it last long enough to justify the cost.  

That said the ColorImeters I purchased form them earlier this year are totally worth the cost.  http://hannainst.com/products/checker-colorimeters.html

TV called One Hour to Save Your life, mentioned in this program is 'acidosis'

Ketoacidosis is related to hyperglycaemia, it is a serious condition associated with illness or very high blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes
Being a type 1 diabetic I know a whole lot about this.

Ketoacidosis - Diabetes Australia

I didn't realise the human body needed to be quite so well-balanced.

Now I don't worry too much about pH (it's pretty constant) so was only kidding about knowing my fish water so accurately but I do wish the API Master Test Kit was a bit less reliant on the red colour in it's test for nitrates; I defy anyone to tell the difference in reds between 80 and 160 ppm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back