Bloated Stomach... Help Needed Quickly.

I don't know if the external parasite meds (Quick Cure and Clout) are effective for internal parasites. Internal parasites are not common in aquarium fish in the States unless you add some untreated wild caught thing to the tank. I have never had an infestation that I know of, even though I buy wild caught fish. I think my suppliers treat them first.

It does do internal parasites.
I just got the dosage figured and added it. It says that it can be used along with any other med with no issue.

I bought it to kill snails. It also helps the bacteria in the filter.I guess we will see what happens.She is not very happy after being caught and moved to the little tank. I hope it didn't stress her too much.

I just checked. I don't have that in anything.

Well, good luck.
If you get the chance to order a med, Levimasole seems to come highly recommended.
I wouldn't treat for a bacterial illness as yet, wait for any other symptoms.
Another thing to bear in mind it may be a ---can't think of the word--- where an animal loses part of its internal organs via its anus, theres been a few threads in emergencies concerning similar things recently, in this case there appears to be no suitable treatment, aside from snipping it off, if/when fungus develops.
(prolapse may be the word i'm looking for?)
Anyhow, good luck to your fish. Let me know what happens if you get the chance.
Gracias, GB.

You are talking about the flubenol? Sounds like it might be worth a try? I still wonder where you would have picked up a parasite? I think I might do a water change before adding the new med. Quick Cure is a strong med. What does it say about the carbon?

It is a powder. You just mix it with water and pour it in. Then you run as usual.
It is a great filter booster. When I used it I had the clearest water.
I have used it with a few other meds before, and had no problems.
I have both in there right now, and she looks fine so far.
There isn't a filter on the tank she is in right now. There is just an air tube for some bubbles to stir the water. I did add just a little black sand. The bare bottom had a massive glare. She calmed down a lot when I added the sand. There isn't even enough to cover the whole bottom, but apparently it was enough to make her happy.

Kepp us posted. You are sure she isn't egg bound?

This is what Bryan uses on all his incoming wild fish and what I added to my med cabinet at the recommendation of DrsFoasterandSmith.com

Treatment for Internal & External Parasites
« on: January 24, 2007 03:30PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who have issues with internal or external parasites this product is highly recommended. It is especially important for those of you who buy fish that are recently imported and they haven't gone through a quarantine period as imported corydoras are prone to internal parasites.

The World's First Ready-To-Use, Liquid Concentrate Praziquantel Treatment!

Liquid PraziProâ„¢ is a ready-to-use, liquid concentrate that was developed to offer the hobbyist an effective way to control unwanted parasites in their pond, freshwater or marine aquarium. Extremely safe and super effective this revolutionary product offer you rapid control yet will not negatively impact your biological filtration.

Key Benefits

Treats Flukes
Treats Tapeworm
Treats Flatworms
Treats Turbellarians
Highly Effective
Extremely Safe
Won't Negatively Impact Biological Filtration
Can Be Used As A Preventative
Non-toxic To Commonly Kept Aquarium Animals Or Plants.

Directions For Use:

For treatment of praziquantel-susceptible disease conditions in pond, freshwater and marine aquariums.

As A Bath: Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE® or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X® and Stress-X™ to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Do not stop filtration, but remove activated carbon and stop foam-fractionation (protein skimming) and UV sterilization. Shake vigorously before use. Measure Aquarium Solutions® Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) Measure Pond Solutions™ Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 32 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 200 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the aquarium or pond or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient. Repeat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 to 5 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely. Do not use with other drugs or disease treatments. May cause temporary foaming.

Ingredients: oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and <5% praziquantel by weight.

Recommendations: Use Liquid PraziPro® any time unwanted parasites are noticed or introduction is probable.

Contraindications: There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziProâ„¢ except for use in marine (saltwater) systems where flatworms of the Polycladida order are being cultured.

Caution: In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. In case of skin contact, wash with soap and plenty of water. If swallowed, rinse mouth with water (if person is conscious). Obtain medical advice.

Because We Care: PraziProâ„¢ has been developed to offer assistance to aquarium or pond keepers who are encountering problems with unwanted worms or parasites and for ease of use by the user.

I will check it out.
I have already ordered my stuff though. I don't know if it is too late to add it. I will see though.

She could be egg bound. I have no idea... That was the reason for posting here and asking what it is and what to do.
How do I tell if that is what it is?
If she is... what do I do for her?

All I know for sure is that she is swollen, and there is a butt malfunction. She is no longer eating or pooping, and she is mizerable.
She is the only one from that tank with a problem, and this started almost a week ago.

I just need help getting to the bottom of this so I can get her better.

Thanks everyone... I have to get a nap now. I will check back in later.

many thanks for your advice, Jabba and Germ. My "hospital" tank is filled right now with guppy fry so I will have to decide whether to move them to the big tank and move him or (sigh) buy a third tank. think I'll do the former - the fry are about 3 weeks old and I think they can manage.

Iceegrl - hope your girl is doing better; keep us posted.
Shelly

Googling levamisole: It was developed as a treatment for cancer in humans. It is a serious medication with potential serious side effects: repressed immune system, liver desease, bone marrow disorder, seizures, allergies. It is used in veterinary medicine as a dewormer. Because of this I assume the other aquarium medication I posted was developed. I trust Bryan's experience and advice. He is the biggest importer of Corys in the States to sell privately and has many years of experience treating wild caught fish. I have never had a problem with his fish and have ordered and recieved at least a hundred.

If you don't get help soon, pm The_Wolf and try the danio board. Eggbound is also very serious. I have run into it in the Betta forum. Worms have to come from some place and many things can cause blockage. Worms would not necesarily cause constipation, do you think? The opposite I would assume, having dewormed a few cats and dogs.

PrazilPro is by Hikari

I did find the prazilpro, but it is too late to add it to my order. I would have to pay shipping all over again. I really can't afford to do that.
It looks like a hemmoroid to me. It looks more like a bubble than a worm, but I can't be sure.
I have no idea where she would have gotten a worm from unless it was the plants I ordered, but that has been a while and none of the other fish are showing signs of any problems.
She isn't breathing as hard today, but you can tell she is still very mizerable. She is trying to swim a little, but she can only go a little ways before she lays back on the bottom. I am sure it wears her out.
I will do my best to look around on here to see what I can find on the egg bound thing and will sent a message to the_wolf to see if she can help me.
Thanks for helping!
I hope we can save her. I have had her for a long time, and would really hate to lose her.
I will check back in here in a little while.

The_Wolf=he has lots of experience and with danios and worked at an lps for years. He is solid.

If she appears to be retaining water then the standard treatment is epsom salt baths. My first guesses are constipation, egg bound, or perhaps an hemrroid, although it is the first I have heard much about it. Even hemrroids are often a symptom and a secondary effect of constipation.

For me diagnosis, unless I absolutely know what it is, is like finding the problem on a car: start with the obvious, then go to the next item. Don't start with the exotic. Car is overheating, check the thermostat,etc, don't start with replacing the radiator and the engine.

Parasites are the least likely unless you are putting stuff in from the local river or importing wild things and not quarantining. Plants=snails, I've never heard of getting parasites from plants. Of course there is lots I haven't heard of :blush:

Edit: I am refering to internal parasites of course.

Most reactions

Back