Bloated Stomach... Help Needed Quickly.

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
She is a glowfish. The same thing as a zebra danio. She has been like this for almost a week now. I put her in a net 2 days ago so I could watch her closer. I think she is eating, but I am not sure. She won't do it in front of me. The food is always gone in the morning.
I don't think she is pooping though. There is none to be found in the net.
She is breathing some what hard with her gills, but not gasping. She can't swim, but she does scoot around.
My water tests good.
It is a sort of new tank, but has been cycled about 2 months. I haven't had any spikes or added anything lately. I did move things around some though.
All I add is prime and fluorish. (at water changes) I add trace between changes. I do about 20% every week. It is a 55g tank. It has about 14 danios and maybe 10 corys in it. All of the other fish are fine. The corys are even spawning.

I removed the origional pics and have added new ones. I just took these. They are much better!
View attachment 46511
View attachment 46510
View attachment 46509

please help me help her. She is mizerable!

There are a couple more...

I'd avoid feeding her at the time being, until you know whats up....
Is there any pineconing/lifting of the scales?

Swellings are often caused by parasitic or bacterial infection.

Sudden swelling - possibly a bacterial infection.

Slow swelling - tumors, or even parasites, potentially Mycobacterium tuberculosis if it is wild caught fish (possible also with bred fish but less likely). Highly contageous even to you!

Other unknown causes, such as a virus, or permanent damage to the fish's internal organs.

Given the one sided appearence I tend to favour the parasitic reason.

Problem for you is chosing the treatment get a med for internal parasites or a med for internal bacteria such as eSHa 2000 or interpet number 9 (a med that covers only external bacteria will not do). I am afraid I don't know of anything that will be terribly effective against internal parasites, especially if the fish isn't eating. This product > Preis Coly looks like it may do the job but not sure.

no scales sticking out yet. For now she is still slick. She does however look like there is something stuck in her butt! I can't get a good look at it though.
she was already big. She filled out a while back(eggs), but she wasn't this big!

Should I treat for parisites or bacteria first, or do I need to do something else first?

I am going to check on her again. I am going to try to see if I can tell what that was in her behind. I will be back in a little bit.

Thanks!

Here are the other pics...

side view
View attachment 46512

front
View attachment 46513

The tank I put her in
View attachment 46514
This is a 1 gallon triangle (sort of) tank.

Now you have mentioned that about the butt it does sound like a worm infestation.

If you read the notes eSHa 2000 is supposed to take care of both although how effective against different issues you may have I am not sure. I think to be fair the eSHa would be your best 'cover all' at the moment unless somebody knows better.

I've got the same problem, only mine is a swollen swordtail (male). About 2 weeks ago he had something sticking out of his bottom - looked almost like a prolapsed rear end. That went away followed by a tiny bit of fungus in that spot... that left and suddenly he poofed up. I've not seen him eat since all this happened.

I've heard that dropsy is usually fatal so I am reluctant to start salt dipping and other things that will only make him more miserable.

But is it cruel to just let him be and see what happens????

MY tank stats are all good - no ammonia/nitrate, although pH is 7.9 (maybe a bit high?).

any suggestions?? I hate for him to suffer.
thanks,
Shelly

Unfortunately dropsy is a much abused term.

Dropsy isn't an illness it is a symptom caused by an illness, but there are several that can cause the symptom 'dropsy'

You are correct that once a fish shows these signs that it is usually terminal, some of us never give up on a life which can be depressing losing a fish when you put heart and soul into saving it, it can also be a huge boost to rescue one from the brink. Others decide to euthanaise the fish and get it over and done quickly, I'm afraid it is the fishkeepers decision and for me to say one way or the other would expose me to all manner of criticism - damned if you do and damned if you don't as it were.

As for cruel to see what happens well perhaps not but you do have other fish you need to think about, some of the problems that cause the appearence of dropsy are contagious, some of course are not - one of them is contagious to humans - thankfully it isn't that common I think.

If you have a hospital tank then to isolate it and try to dose it with something will at least give you the peace of mind that you tried, amd hopefully will stop the others catching whatever it was if it is contagious, at least this way there would be no 'Maybe he would have survived recriminations with yourself'. This would be my selection, and yes some say it is cruel and prolongs suffering but I have a fish in my aquarium now who is testament to not giving up - still swimming a year after the problems - and it was pretty sick, OK it ain't real pretty any more but it's still swimming, I have also had failures to and lost a dozen fish to a recent ich outbreak.

It's your call ....

Unfortunately dropsy is a much abused term.
Dropsy isn't an illness it is a symptom caused by an illness, but there are several that can cause the symptom 'dropsy'

Yep, osmoregulatory problems and bacterial infection being way up there;

Targa66
A true salt (sodium chloride) based treatment would be foolish at best, epsom salts (magnesium sulphate if i recall correctly) are the only suitable 'salts' to use for a bath.
Also condsider direct anti-biotic treatment or a decent gram+/gram- anti-bacterial.
During treatment fast the fish as best you can only feeding with mushed up pea and/or small amounts of daphinia.

Personally i would deem it cruel to simply forget about the fish and not treat him, its not your place to decide "He's had enough already," or similar, so the only thing to do is treat him the best you can.

ok. I did the google. The clout may work. I have moved her to another tank, and am ready to medicate.
The next issue is... She got it in the big tank... what about my other fish?
Does the tank need treatment to save the others?

The info I found also said that there can be bacterial infections due to damage caused by the parasite. Do I need to add a bacterial med with the clout? If so what can be used with clout safely?

Thank you for helping!

I removed the origional pics and put in the new ones. They are much better!
I don't want to treat for the wrong thing due to bad pics...

These are the meds that I have on hand...
clout
quick cure
pimafix
melafix
maracyn
maracyn 2
maroxy

Will any of these work? or even a combination maybe?
What should I do from here?

Thanks for helping!

It has been almost 3 hours and no response. There is hardly anyone on here tonight. :blink:
I guess I will start with quick cure. I know a little more about it. Then when someone comes along they can give me an answer and I can swap if I need to. I just feel like I need to do something now.
Let me know if I am doing right or if I need to go to something else.
Thank You :good:

For internal parasites you need something like PrazilPro.

The meds being recomended are all UK meds that we don't have. I will not attempt to diagnose, but if somehow you did pick up an internal parasite--fairly uncommon here, I think--then you need a specialty med like PrazilPro, which you don't have.

I would also stop feeding except for perhaps the daphnia or pea to help her poo. But I would definately wait a few days to even do that. After that treatment You could try some antiparasite food. But with the swelling it is important to get it down as that is what often causes internal organ damage and the dreaded dropsy symptom.

Could she be egg bound? Although the swelling looks a little far back for that.

I will never be able to order it and get in time.
I have a little flubenol 15 left... (I think that was the name)
Could that maybe work?
I will have to check some things, and see what I can get fairly fast.

Read the package. It should say that it is for worms or some internal parasite.

Are there no lps near at all?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back