Blackworms Vs Tubifex

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dorkhedeos

Boss Major
Reaction score
how can you tell the difference between a blackworm and a tubifex worm? one of my lfs has a sign that says the worms are tubifex, my other lfs says they have blackworms, but they look exactly the same. does anybody have pictures of blackworms and pictures of tubifex?

Tubifex are 50% (or more) slimmer than blackworms, and a much brighter red.
Blackworms tend more toward reddish brown and are proportioned a bit closer to
ordinary earthworms, about 0.02-0.05" diameter and an inch or two long.
Tubifex are more like 0.005-0.02" thick (hair-like, almost).
(Exerpt taken from data in one of my killifish journals)

Hi Dorkhedeos :)

Another way to tell is that blackworms tend to be bigger and straighter, while tubifex worms tend to be curly to the point of being what you might call "kinky." They also form tighter clumps of worms than the blackworms do.

Don't worry about getting the wrong one; they can be used almost interchangeably. Just take great care to wash them thoroughly in cold water until it runs clear. Give them a stir to break the clumps up so that the water can reach them all.

Tubifex worms, being much smaller, are useful for feeding little fish or large fry. :D

are there any other worms that look like blackworms? here are some pictures of the worms i bought from the lfs that says they are tubifex. if the ones i bought from the lfs that claim they are blackworms, and they look like that, it means they are blackworms right?

worms.jpg

VERMS.jpg

thanks for the help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back