Black Molly With White Fuzz

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

herrotech

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a black molly that has always been prone to white marks around his mouth and fins, and now things have taken a turn for the worse it seems. The white spots seemed to clear up once I got his tank into a warmer environment with better water supply a couple months ago. At the moment, all levels are fine except for the PH, which is around 8.

My mother (who now cares for the fish, also one nirite snail) was told by PetSmart that it was most likely ICH and that the medicine she gave her would clear it up. However, ICH is supposed to look like small grains of salt, and this is clearly FUZZ. Also, the ICH medicine didn't work.

Research is showing me columnaris or fungal infection, and nobody seems to know how to clearly identify each type. Can anyone give advice? I'm including a bubbly picture for reference. Note: the white is fuzzy. Thank you.

http://i.imgur.com/7G1trGQ.jpg

First off, I'd like to ask where you purchased the fish from? everytime I have bought fish from petsmart, they have always had ich or some sort of bacterial infection. My guppies had a bacterial infection, which I can not remember the name of, anyways, I paid about $10 for a large bottle of treatment. I used it for 3 days as required. unfortunately the 1 guppy that I had left, did die, but it cured my platties.

That looks like columnaris to me which is a bacterial infection.  I would advise getting an antibiotic that treats gram negative bacterial infections to help heal the fish.  

Well, since it's fuzzy it's probably fungus or some sort of bacteria, so you should probably treat it with some sort of bacterial maedicine :D good luck!!!!

It sounds like cotton wool disease.. Check out pics of it online it's a bacterial infection.. I use jungle fungus clear and chop a garlic clove in four and drop it in the tank during the four day treatment. Raise the tank temp to 78 and turn the light off bc it creates more stress. I had a white sailfin mollie who got really bad.. He's doing great now after one treatment.. I used the garlic bc that will kill ick.. My fish have gotten it when a tank mate dies in there IDK if that really has anything to do with it

I won't comment on the disease, but I agree it is bacterial/fungal; it is not ich or any parasite.

I am wondering about the water parameters, as mollies have a real need for harder water than many fish, even other livebearers. You mention the pH is 8, that is good for mollies (or other livebearers), but the GH (general hardness) is more important. If it is not fairly high, skin problems are very common with mollies. Shimmying often occurs, and clamped fins. Tankmates could be part of the issue sometimes, if there are any semi-aggressive species.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back