Black Molly Depressed After The Death Of His Mate.

Platy lover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This might be a weird question but can fish become depressed? My black molly finally died from not eating 3 weeks after his mate spot my dalmatian molly passed.

This might be a weird question but can fish become depressed? My black molly finally died from not eating 3 weeks after his mate spot my dalmatian molly passed.
I had a MM platy male die one week after his female mate passed away.....so yes it does happen. I am sorry for your losses. The same thing happened to me about two months ago.

Same thing to me with two swordtails last week but they were buddies not mates

I had a MM platy male die one week after his female mate passed away.....so yes it does happen. I am sorry for your losses. The same thing happened to me about two months ago.
I got him a female silver lyretail molly to be his new mate but he never paid attention but then I bought another female dalmatian molly the night he died and he harassed her to death. It made me sad because my creamsicle lyretail was killed the same night as the other two fish died and now I am re-thinking my views as a fish mommy

yeh they do get dipressed :( especially if they have been with each other for their whole life my male platy died recntly ive had him and his female for 4 years hes died and she isnt out asmuch any more i will be getting a platy with the same marking or simmiler markings :(

yeh they do get dipressed :( especially if they have been with each other for their whole life my male platy died recntly ive had him and his female for 4 years hes died and she isnt out asmuch any more i will be getting a platy with the same marking or simmiler markings :(
They were in the same tank together at Petsmart so I am thinking they loved each other. :(

I truly think that they pair up emotionally (maybe no physically..the jezzebelles) but they do find their soulmates. Do not give up on keeping fish. You just had a bad run. Keep your tank cycled and restock. Just remember that these things happen. If your water parameters were good, then it was meant to happen and unfortunately nothing you could have done will have prevented.

They were in the same tank together at Petsmart so I am thinking they loved each other. :(

they do i feel so sorry for my female her solmate shood off females and males and kept her to himself lol :)

I truly think that they pair up emotionally (maybe no physically..the jezzebelles) but they do find their soulmates. Do not give up on keeping fish. You just had a bad run. Keep your tank cycled and restock. Just remember that these things happen. If your water parameters were good, then it was meant to happen and unfortunately nothing you could have done will have prevented.
Everything is good but I kept losing my mollies. 5 dead in the span of a week and a half but my platies,guppies, clown pleco, apple snail and dwarf gourami are still going strong.

I have recently had the same problem. There is 5 mollies in our tank. Was 6. The first 2 we got were a breeding pair. They all seemed happy and swam round everywhere. We then got a another female which was already pregnant and had fry which we kept. We then got another male and they all got on fine. Then a few weeks later the first male molly we got died :( We had recently got another breeding pair but the female mollies just seems sad (the ones that were with the male who died) They used to swim in a 3 together and now the 2 females either hide or just swim round slowly and donā€™t do much at all.

Iā€™m not sure what to do? Currently there is 2 males and 3 females the new breeding pair are together most of the time but the other male has no interest in the other top and never really has only the female of the new breeding pair. )Also we have 4 fry that are in floating tank.) Not sure if I should get another molly that looks the same as the one that has passed? They just seem upset!!

In the wild, female livebearers hang out in large groups consisting of between 20 & 50 (but sometimes up to 100 or more) females. These groups have a pecking order with the biggest most dominant female ruling the group and she has a group of girlfriends who back her up. All the other females live in the group but are lower down the pecking order.

The groups of females move around rivers and waterways looking for food and places to hang out. As the groups move around a few males follow the group and try to breed with any females.

In the confines of an aquarium, the males will constantly harass the females and try to breed with them. This puts undue stress on the females and if there are too many males constantly pestering the females, the females can get sick and die.

It is preferable to keep livebearers in single sex tanks (either male or female but not both sexes together). If you want a group of males and females then have 1 male and at least 6 females (preferably 10 or more females per male).

Female livebearers can carry up to 6 sperm packets from breeding with males and they use 1 sperm packet to fertilise each batch of eggs. The gestation period (from the time she fertilises the eggs to when she gives birth to free swimming babies) is about 1 month. After which she will fertilise another batch of eggs using another sperm packet. This allows female livebearers to produce young about once a month for up to 6 months without any males being present.

If you want to breed livebearers then have a tank with females and let them give birth and use up all the sperm packets they are carrying in their body. Give them a few months without being pregnant and then add a male to the tank for a week before moving him out, or move the female/s into a tank with a male for a week and let them breed. Then move the females back into their own tank.

ps, this thread is from 2011 so the original poster probably won't reply :)

In the wild, female livebearers hang out in large groups consisting of between 20 & 50 (but sometimes up to 100 or more) females. These groups have a pecking order with the biggest most dominant female ruling the group and she has a group of girlfriends who back her up. All the other females live in the group but are lower down the pecking order.

The groups of females move around rivers and waterways looking for food and places to hang out. As the groups move around a few males follow the group and try to breed with any females.

In the confines of an aquarium, the males will constantly harass the females and try to breed with them. This puts undue stress on the females and if there are too many males constantly pestering the females, the females can get sick and die.

It is preferable to keep livebearers in single sex tanks (either male or female but not both sexes together). If you want a group of males and females then have 1 male and at least 6 females (preferably 10 or more females per male).

Female livebearers can carry up to 6 sperm packets from breeding with males and they use 1 sperm packet to fertilise each batch of eggs. The gestation period (from the time she fertilises the eggs to when she gives birth to free swimming babies) is about 1 month. After which she will fertilise another batch of eggs using another sperm packet. This allows female livebearers to produce young about once a month for up to 6 months without any males being present.

If you want to breed livebearers then have a tank with females and let them give birth and use up all the sperm packets they are carrying in their body. Give them a few months without being pregnant and then add a male to the tank for a week before moving him out, or move the female/s into a tank with a male for a week and let them breed. Then move the females back into their own tank.

ps, this thread is from 2011 so the original poster probably won't reply :)

Yes I noticed it was a while ago but canā€™t seem to write my own forum, canā€™t find where!

The other male I have doesnā€™t try to bread with the other two females at all. He really isnā€™t interested. He just swims all around the tank occasionally tries breeding with the breeding pair female molly and thatā€™s all. The other two females just seem rather lonely and sad. Defiantly not as active and swimming around as much as they used to. Just hoping they are ok!

I have posted information at the following link on how you can start a thread of your own.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/mixing-african-cichlids-with-new-world-cichlids.224610/

------------------------
Don't get any more fish for at least a month.
Start a new thread and post the information there.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week.
Test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and post the results in numbers, on your new thread.
Include information about how long the tank has been set up for, filter, how often you do water changes, feed the fish, etc.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Most reactions

Back