Betta's Fins Drastically Decreased in Size?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just make sure you let the new tank cycle before you switch tanks! The move can be stressful on the betta especially if the new home you move them to isn't ready yet. You can help seed the new tank with some bacteria by taking a PORTION of your current tanks filter media and putting it in with the filter of the new tank along with the cartridge that the new tank kit supplies, this will help speed the process. For now keep your current betta's tank with extra clean water until the new one is ready. Best of luck!

Thanks! Max has been in his new tank for almost a week. His fins are regrowing! They're already about a centimeter or two longer than before! Thanks for your help. He seems very happy in his new home!

I have a live plant in the tank with his cave. Will this be enough to discourage the biting? He had one in there before as well. Thanks!
Betta bite their own fins? I never knew that, but I do suppose with how flowy they are they could reach them if they wanted to. Nick brings up a good point. Any fake plants/decorations with sharp or rough edges are a no go. Fake plants that are not silk should be removed as betta are notorious for getting those delicate fins snagged on them. Is the entrance to his cave smooth as well as the interior? You can tell if you take it out and rub the pad of your finger gently, but firmly, against the inner surface and edges of the cave. You can always file the edges down if you find any. I'm really glad to hear his fins are growing back! If you have a picture of the him in his new tank I'd love to see! Clean water and good environment does wonders for fish health, it's great you haven't had to resort to chemical treatment for his fins. Just keep up the clean water and clean tank regimen and you should be good to go. How is the filter on your new tank? Does it have a really strong current by any chance?

Betta bite their own fins?
Oh yes.

I have a live plant in the tank with his cave. Will this be enough to discourage the biting?
I do not know it may or may not, Sometimes it becomes a habit, Kinda like people who bite their fingernails.

From what I see in your photos his tank is way to open, Adding more live plants including floating ones will help the fish feel more secure and it will help with water quality.

What are you feeding him?

Have a look at my 2 foot betta tank it will give you an idea on how many plants you can add.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-being-a-betta.442007/page-3#post-3753110

Betta bite their own fins? I never knew that, but I do suppose with how flowy they are they could reach them if they wanted to. Nick brings up a good point. Any fake plants/decorations with sharp or rough edges are a no go. Fake plants that are not silk should be removed as betta are notorious for getting those delicate fins snagged on them. Is the entrance to his cave smooth as well as the interior? You can tell if you take it out and rub the pad of your finger gently, but firmly, against the inner surface and edges of the cave. You can always file the edges down if you find any. I'm really glad to hear his fins are growing back! If you have a picture of the him in his new tank I'd love to see! Clean water and good environment does wonders for fish health, it's great you haven't had to resort to chemical treatment for his fins. Just keep up the clean water and clean tank regimen and you should be good to go. How is the filter on your new tank? Does it have a really strong current by any chance?

I didn't know they bit their fins either! It makes sense though. And I checked, the interior of the cave is quite smooth, but I may file the edges of the entrance down a bit. It isn't overly rough but I think every bit helps! I will definitely upload a picture of him tomorrow! He definitely looks a lot happier to me. He moves around a a good bit. I think so as well! The tank's filter does very well. I was worried it would be too strong, because the one in my previous tank was. But it seems to be appropriate for the size. It doesn't disturb the plant or visibly move the water that much, and he can swim up near where the water is released with no difficulty. I know it is said that bettas don't like moving water, but he often hangs out near it as if he enjoys it! It's pretty funny. I also don't think people realize how smart fish actually are! Whenever I go near his tank he swims quickly back and forth and flares his fins because usually that means his meal is coming :) Thanks again for your help!

Oh yes.

I do not know it may or may not, Sometimes it becomes a habit, Kinda like people who bite their fingernails.

From what I see in your photos his tank is way to open, Adding more live plants including floating ones will help the fish feel more secure and it will help with water quality.

What are you feeding him?

Have a look at my 2 foot betta tank it will give you an idea on how many plants you can add.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-being-a-betta.442007/page-3#post-3753110

That's a beautiful tank! I didn't know you could add them in that amount, but I suppose if they like to hide in the caves they would like to hide around the plants! I will look into buying more. Do you have any tips on typical care needed and what plants are ideal for them? Thanks! I feed Max Aqueon Color enhancing natural betta pellets. He eats a very small amount and I remove the extra. He also has a day a week that is his "fast" day. I occasionally give him daphnia and mysis.

I go with the easy low light stuff.
Annubias
Blue Stricta
Vallis
Crypts.

For floating plants
Water sprite
Blue stricta
Duck weed ( optional)
Riccia ( crystalwort )
And Lilly pads. I think its Banana lilly

but I suppose if they like to hide in the caves

Ok lest clear up a misconception here.

Bettas are surface dwelling fish, That means they spend most of their time near the surface, Bettas do not live in caves, They are forced to use them because they do not have enough top cover from plants.

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep, There is a huge bit of Indian almond leaf just above her.
Image is of my Betta sleeping on a bed of Riccia.
243p6ip.jpg

If you want to make your Betta happy give it a floating hollow log or lots of floating plants to hide in.

Video is NOT my work

Also please look at this
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-log-or-small-floating-log-experiences.415439/

Wildbetta has a brilliant tip/idea for a log

PS

If you are going for a 5 gallon tank you could try something like this, its all Annubias.

This is my 5 gallon tank.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

Last edited:
I go with the easy low light stuff.
Annubias
Blue Stricta
Vallis
Crypts.

For floating plants
Water sprite
Blue stricta
Duck weed ( optional)
Riccia ( crystalwort )
And Lilly pads. I think its Banana lilly

Ok lest clear up a misconception here.

Bettas are surface dwelling fish, That means they spend most of their time near the surface, Bettas do not live in caves, They are forced to use them because they do not have enough top cover from plants.

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep, There is a huge bit of Indian almond leaf just above her.
Image is of my Betta sleeping on a bed of Riccia.
243p6ip.jpg

If you want to make your Betta happy give it a floating hollow log or lots of floating plants to hide in.

Video is NOT my work

Also please look at this
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/betta-log-or-small-floating-log-experiences.415439/

Wildbetta has a brilliant tip/idea for a log

PS

If you are going for a 5 gallon tank you could try something like this, its all Annubias.

This is my 5 gallon tank.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

Okay, I'll definitely look into it! I didn't know that. I like the video, I'll probably try that. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back