Bettas fins are looking stringy and colors are dull.

Erin

Reaction score
I have a male betta in a two gallon filtered tank. Recently his fins have started looking stringy and shrunken. His colors are looking dull as well. He hasn't been active lately, and slowly come for food. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can? I have attached a picture.

I couldn't get the photo to load. Sorry

Hi

Can you answer the following questions

• is the tank cycled - how did you cycle it?
  • does the tank have a filter?
  • does it have a heater - what temp is it set to?
  • how much water do you change and how often?
  • what water conditioner do you use?
  • apart from the fish what else is in the tank - fake plants, live plants etc?
  • apart from the new fish have you added anything else recently?
  • What do you feed him?
  • How much and how often do you feed him?

2 gallons is too small for a betta. Do at least 50% water changes with dechlorinated water daily. However since your tank is so small i would personally do 80% daily until he has recovered. WMake sure the temperature matches whats in the tank.

If you continue to keep you betta in a small tank, its health will continue to deterioate

Hi

• What do you feed him?

Hi

• What do you feed him?
  • the tank is filtered
  • it does not have a heater a the moment (any suggestions for a heater for a two gallon tank, I'm worried that adding a heater in a tank this small will cause the water to overheat or my fish would burn himself)
  • I change half of the water once a week
  • I use AQUEON Betta Bowl Plus for a water conditioner
  • There is a marimo moss ball, a live leafy plant I got from petsmart, and some rocks
  • I haven't added anything recently, I have had the fish for about 2 months
  • I feed him AQUEON Betta Food pellets
  • I feed him 3 pellets twice a day
I am learning as I go so and help is greatly appreciated.

I have a betta in a 10 gal tank with some other fish and she does just fine. You should really upgrade to at least a 5 gallon tank. They need room to swim. I've had mine for a couple months and she's doing great. They DO NEED a heater since they are tropical fish and like the temp. around 75 degrees unless your house is warm all the time. I'd try feeding it live or frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.

I have a betta in a 10 gal tank with some other fish and she does just fine. You should really upgrade to at least a 5 gallon tank. They need room to swim. I've had mine for a couple months and she's doing great. They DO NEED a heater since they are tropical fish and like the temp. around 75 degrees unless your house is warm all the time. I'd try feeding it live or frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.

Bettas are best in a tank on their own due to their feisty tempers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This once happened to me and is normally due to poor water. Although in this occasion I think it's due to the cramped space the betta lives in. Two gallons is way too small. I would recommend you move the betta to a bigger tank or take it back. I don't think the betta can live like this.

Well my betta does just fine with other fish. It's all in the personality

That's good. It's nice when bettas are getting along with a community tank and doing well. (There such a beautiful fish) Although, bettas don't normally make a good community tank. It has been proven that they should be on their own. Since yours is doing fine that's great [emoji16]

Well my betta does just fine with other fish.
Come back in 6 or so months and tell us that.
Even Malaysian trumpet snails are not safe around Bettas.

Come back in 6 or so months and tell us that.
Even Malaysian trumpet snails are not safe around Bettas.
There's some species that get along just fine with beta. It's all in their personality. She's lived with ADF, zebra Danios, albino Cory cats, mystery snails, and ghost shrimp. She's only ever killed one ghost shrimp. She minds her own business. How would you know what kind of personality my fish has?

zebra Danios,
These fish are way to active to share with a Betta, they need a large tank, IMO 4 foot minimum. I have a bunch in a 6 foot 100 gallon tank and sometimes wonder if its too small for them.

albino Cory cats

Been there done that, Seen what a Betta can do to them.

Even BN's are not safe if the Betta snaps,

This is what happy healthy females are like,

These fish are way to active to share with a Betta, they need a large tank, IMO 4 foot minimum. I have a bunch in a 6 foot 100 gallon tank and sometimes wonder if its too small for them.

Been there done that, Seen what a Betta can do to them.

Even BN's are not safe if the Betta snaps,

This is what happy healthy females are like,
They're doing just fine right now. My beta gets plenty of room to swim and plenty food to eat. She has her territory marked out. She snails were the same size as her and she never messed with them. It's funny how you're telling me what my tanks like when you don't know but that's for your input.

Most reactions

Back