Bettas And Angel Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bambi211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How do angel fish and bettas get on??

I have a small angel fish, he doesnt seem to pick on anything in my tank.

I was wondering if it would get on with a siamese fighter, there beautiful fish and was thinking of getting one??

advice would be most greatful.

xx

angel fish = very aggressive with flowing fins

siamese fighter male or female, sees another fish with flowing fins and they will fight terrible, if you want a siamese fighter, buy a 5 gallon and use it solely for the betta and maybe some corys

I've seen it done before, I wouldn't say no way ever. Aggression varies among species, angels can vary from docile to as aggressive as can be expected out of a cichlid.

You would be looking at at least a 30 long, or 40 breeder for a tank, heavily planted or decorated, with a backup plan for rehoming the fish, or at very least a divider.

I managed to get away with it for a few months then moved the beta to a small tank to be on the safe side:) the fighter was not botherd by them and vice versa, like anything though depends on luck and the fish , wouldnt try it again mind you though

honestly I think just about anything can get along, if you have a enough water volume and tank lenght and width. however the size tanks I am talking about are 200+ gallons or in most instances PONDS. the average fish keeper is not capable of houseing these monster tanks, and those that do I have never seen filled with bettas, angels, guppys, tetras and other lovely but smaller aquarium fish.

did I ever mention it is a dream of mine to do a 8 foot set in the wall small community fish tank lol?

I tried it once - it lasted about 12 hours. Poor betta was a goner in the morning, sadly. And everything seemed to be going so well before I went to bed!!! -_-

i have done it in the past with success but both the group of 6 angels and the betta had very calm personalities, wouldn't reccommend it though

Dont try it unless your prepared, i mean giving time to watch the tank almost constantly for the first bit and having a back up tank for the betta. IMO get a 3-5 Gal for the betta and make his and only his. I find these smaller tanks the funnest to set up especially with live plants.

i have a female betta and an angel in my 180L jsut now, they swim about and dont bother with each other, even when feeding.

In our tank we have 5 Angel's medium sized and 1 male siamese fighter and 3 female's, 2 Of the Angel's we got with the Male Fighter then a couple of months later we added the other 3 Angel's there was little to no bother, The Angel's just worry about each other. We seem to have 1 Angel who seems to be the boss of the other Angel's and i've seen them go at each other but very mildly if anything get's nipped in our tank it's because they are getting too close to our pair of breeding red point honduran's.

Just depends on each fish's personality.

Defiantly depends on their personalities, I currently have a male fighter in a community tank with a pair of angels. They have never been bothered by each other. But he is a pretty calm boy.

did I ever mention it is a dream of mine to do a 8 foot set in the wall small community fish tank lol?
That's also a dream of mine!!! :shifty: :hyper:

I personally wouldn't mix angels and bettas, not just because of the temprements of the fish but also because I have never owned a betta that has been truly happy in a community set up.

I have did this unexperienced for almost a year now I first had the angel and bought a male betta a little later the angel was friendly as can be but I guess over a period of time bettas become bored and the wanna pick fights so I started to notice my betta taking advantage of the angel by bullying him he will constantly harass the angel by flaring his gills and chasing him away to show him he means business well over a period of a few months I noticed this behavior and all of sudden I look in the tank and the betta got what he asked for he look like he'd been chewed up and spat out he got what he deserved although they both are still alive in the tank now the betta thinks twice before deciding to jump off a bridge so I guess you can put them together but the betta will loose everytime

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back