Betta With Missing Scale

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I got my first betta last week. He's in a cycled, 3 gallon tank with two live plants and three neon tetras (which are being moved as soon as my 23 gallon is cycled).

He's not at all agressive towards the neons. They virtually ignore each other. He is fairly active and will flare readily at a mirror. He does seem slightly melancholy but I think that might just be his personality as he is well fed and cared for, and there is nothing nasty in the tank to hurt him. He was kept in a tiny tank at the lfs - possibly under a gallon - and a couple of the tanks had white spot outbreaks, which meant all of them had been subjected to it due to the way they filter their system. When I got him I noticed that he had a odd flap of something translucent on his side. Not sure what it was but it isn't there now.

However, despite seeming healthy (no white spot, fantastic colouration, active, eating well) he's now got a teeny pale spot on his back. It's not white spot and looks like a scale is missing. I don't think he had a loose scale there before and I'm pretty sure he's not been in a fight with the tetras.

Is it likely to be bad news? What can I do to help him out if it will cause a problem? Will it regrow?

it will regrow. it may or may not be from the tetras(doubtful actually- theyd usually be going for his fins, not his body)...
fish do lose scales from time to time. or he could have scraped himself on something. hell be fine in no time! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back