Betta losing color rapidly in sections

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well since he is in a beanie box he doesn't have any gravel, so no worries there. I bought him his own net..actually all my fish have their own net...complete with their name on it :wub: .

I rinse his plant and box off after I've done everyone else's..so just in case his doesn't touch anyone else's.

Yes, it is puzzling...and it's very frustrating lol. But as long as he's not acting sickly..I'm just gonna ride it out and see what happens. I'm just concerned that when I get my new tank finished, I'm not gonna be able to put him in it :/ .

Oooooh well..I might just have to buy another fish to fill that bay and just keep him on my desk :D. You know...I'm sure ole AB needs some buyers now that they are back up ;) ;) :whistle: .

I thought marble first too, but it seemed so fast...However, this fish in the pictures did this change in the three days I was at the IBC show in Seattle, but once again, light to dark :dunno:

Friday:

post-22-1088188212.jpg

Monday:

post-5-1093237050.jpg

I agree though, don't cross contaminate at this point -_-

It is not marble. It is a skin disease. It keeps loosing it's own pigment on his body to tails or fins. It will keep spreading. Not a nice thing happen to betta. :(

You see, I want to feel sorry for him, but he doesn't "act" like anything is wrong with him at all.

He eats same as he always has, flares when he is presented with one of the other guys...he got REAL excited today when I introduced him to Sao..and she got all kinda barred up for him too lol.

He just doesn't act...well sick. I'm gonna continue to monitor him, and keep all his stuff out of contaminations way of the others...but I'm just gonna go with him being a marble til he gives me some other indication that something is wrong.

I treated him with the Naladin as it directed me too and I saw no difference, he's still getting whiter..it does appear to have slowed down in progression some though.

I'm gonna leave him in the Indian Almond leaf treated water and just see what happens (of course what else can I do though :unsure: )

Here are some updated pictures I took today:

Toy00a.jpg
Toy00b.jpg

Toy00c.jpg
Toy00d.jpg

Toy00e.jpg
Toy00f.jpg

Toy00g.jpg
Toy00h.jpg

Toy00i.jpg
Toy00j.jpg

And here's his AB picture again for reference in color change:
01Toy.jpg

hmmm, I wonder if it has something to do with the metallic gene -_- Look at him...he's so white! But he does appear healthy and active -_-

What's even more odd is..you can't really tell in the pics..but the white isn't a dull, transparant white..it's shiny, and has a pearlescent-ish sheen to it..I guess one might call it mettallic appearance.

That is just so strange. At least he's acting alright. I think if he had some sort of deadly disease, he'd be slowing down by now.

awwwwww

**cover's Toy's ears**

*tells Toy* It's ok babie..you don't look like that freak-o Jack-o...you don't..I swear you don't...you're still my pretty babie. :wub:

lol atleast Toy didn't do it to himself, huh :lol:

Well Toy is not doing well at all now :(.

Almost his entire body is now white, only a small section of his face and the end of his body are still remotely colored.

His tail is still colcored, although he is stressed so it stays very pale now.

His dorsal fin, well...all the rays have broken off, and it's basically a stump now . :-(

His Pectoral fins are basically the same way, nubs.

He floats near the top alot, although he does swim around ever so often, but I'm sure with his pectorals so short..it's alot of work and he gets tired.

He isn't eating well, although he does nibble occassionally.

I have been giving him salt baths for the last few days, since I noticed his fins breaking off..which happened basically over night. One night at WC he was fine..the next there were broken rays scattered across the bottom of his box.

I think if he doesn't perk up a little soon....I am gonna have to put him down, he looks so miserable...just floating there at the surface.

Awww SRC thats awful to hear my fingers are crossed that he'll get better!! and it looks like you have given him a loving home!

At least whatever it is can't spread to your other fishies i recently lost a whole communtiy of female bettas due to an unstppable bacterial infection!! :unsure:

This might sound weird but when i first read this post i thought that maybe he had been dyed, since other kinds of fish can be dyed , can bettas?

Oh well. We do all we can :dunno:

When I lost my first fish (a cory) I did everything I could, and it lingered for a few hours before it died. After that, I resolved never to let it go that far again.

SRC, I think you have done all that could possible be done for Toy. From what you wrote. I think it may be time.

Am very sorry about your fish.

Even reading through this i cant work out what happend to my two.
First one
JC.JPG

Then by next day
JC2.JPG

And died in a day

Second one died the same way but in a day.
I put cardinals in, either it was NTD as some of the cardinals died, or they chased and stressed him out.?!?!?!?!?!

I had a guppy look like that Rodders, and she went fast too. She was new fish, but I never saw a fish change color like that. So weird.

SRC, I know you feel just awful and I'm sorry. I have put many down, and it hurts when its your baby. What did you do for medication treatments toward the end. I know you bought medication, but what course of treatment did you use, just for imformational purposes. I've been hoping for turn around, but sometimes it's just best to let them go. :(

I tried salt to begin with, didn't do much, if anything.

Then I tried Tetracycline, nothing.

Melafix, nothing.

Naladin, nothing.

Now back again with some Salt, for the failing fins.

:/ I dunno what this is or what caused/is causing it.

If he isn't dramatically better (as far as the fins go) by Monday...I think I am gonna call it quits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back