Betta in a Fluval Chi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aussieant32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I was at my LFS yesterday looking at some fish ideas for another tank and they had a Fluval Chi (25L) marked down from $220 (AUD) to $150 as it was a display model (never held water or had the filter etc run) and it was missing the chemicals its meant to come with (a water conditioner and bio starter) and no box. Anyway I was buying some stuff for my dogs as well and managed to get them down to $100 for the tank with light and filter.

I put some black gravel I had from another tank and filled it up. I have a nano heater from an old coral tank in there holding the water at 26C and have started the cycle (fishless). I have some fish flakes in a stocking to start breaking down and start to seed the filter. It will cycle for about 3 weeks (more if needed) as I am going overseas and don't want it stocked prior.

I am putting a betta in the other tank and I think one would be happy in here as well? Not intending to have any other stock apart from a betta in there. Not decided what type yet, I would prefer to save one from those horrid little jars than get one from a breeder.

Anyway, thought I'd pop a thread up to show him off and keep track of my cycle etc.

Thanks all.

could we get some pics. so we can monitor the progress of the whole thing:fish:

02/10/2017

PH 7.0
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate (not testing yet)

heWbJw

Nothing exciting yet. Have ordered a background and some plants

I paint the back of my tanks black.

I actually do as well but the backround looked cool so got it as a change

why dont you rather build a rock wall out of small rock tiles. it gives a awesome effect well as looking natural and being easy.

i plan in doing it to my big tank but i need to finish school first.

for a small tank like this I cant really be bothered. Plus its a pretty limited volume tank without a stone background taking up space

fair enough. but i do know that you do get some really small ones.

03/10/2017
PH 7.0
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate (not testing yet)

Do you guys do water changes while cycling?

Not during a fishless cycle using the method on here, which is preferable to doing a fish-in cycle.
Using the old 'add ammonia every time it drops to zero' method you did need to do a water change if the level of nitrite got so high it stalled the cycle. The newer method on here is designed so that nitrite can never get that high.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back