Betta in a Fluval Chi

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
thanks. It is fishless using fishfood as a waste source.

I didn't think you would do a change but its been ages since I set up a freshwater tank so wanted to check

If you are using fish food you probably will need to do water changes to remove all the decomposing food as it goes mouldy.

To be honest, fish food is not the best way to cycle a tank. You have no idea how much ammonia it makes so you can have no idea how many bacteria are growing. You could easily find yourself doing a fish-in cycle once you have fish. Using ammonia solution is much easier as you know exactly how much you are adding. It doesn't need much for 1 betta in a 25 litre tank, 1 ppm ammonia is plenty.

Are you intending to put live plants in the tank? If you are, you may not even need to cycle it, especially if you have floating plants (which a betta would very much appreciate)

If you are using fish food you probably will need to do water changes to remove all the decomposing food as it goes mouldy.

To be honest, fish food is not the best way to cycle a tank. You have no idea how much ammonia it makes so you can have no idea how many bacteria are growing. You could easily find yourself doing a fish-in cycle once you have fish. Using ammonia solution is much easier as you know exactly how much you are adding. It doesn't need much for 1 betta in a 25 litre tank, 1 ppm ammonia is plenty.

Are you intending to put live plants in the tank? If you are, you may not even need to cycle it, especially if you have floating plants (which a betta would very much appreciate)
Thanks for the tip. It is floating in a stocking so removing it isn't a big issue.

I am slightly confused. The amount of food I have added has the tank at 2ppm ammonia and nitrites have just started to kick in. How would using ammonia to 1ppm be different?

04/10/17
PH 7.0
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 010 (just the slightest tinge of colour change.
Nitrate Not testing yet

added a floating plant today.

05/10/2017
PH 7
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate Not testing yet

do you guys think 3 weeks shoukd cycle a tank of this size? Reason I am asking is I have sourced a breeder of koi halfmoons and he is a fair way away. The only day I can really go is the day after I get back from holiday.

Reason I am asking is I have sourced a breeder of koi halfmoons and he is a fair way away.
Oh yes, I would love a koi female. Care to share the breeders details please? You can PM me if you like.

06/10/17
PH 7 Going to stop testing for the moment as it's stable
Ammonia 2.5 (ish)
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate Not testing yet

My goodies for the tank arrived, some spare filter media, lid, plants and the lid

G'day from Vegas

Wife has sent me an update

Ammonia 4.0
Nitrite 0.50

Looks like everything is on track. I have booked 23/10/17 to pick up a nice koi betta so hopefully it will be cleaned up by then

Back from Vegas and the cycle finished. Did a 90% water change and went to look at bettas.

I originally went to get a koi but spotted a stunning dumbo I couldn't leave without. He seems quite happy and accepting a variety of foods. So far so good :)

Umm excuse me, You don't come here and get all this advice and then have the nerve to not share a photo of the new guy.

haha. Fair enough

This was when he just went in. He is still a little hidey so will get some better ones when he is more open to it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back