The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ZenaM

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My betta is clamping itā€™s fins and seems to be acting strangely. He is very lethargic, resting on the gravel for long periods and his fins seem like they have been nipped. He is in a tank with 6 neon tetras and some shrimp. I havenā€™t seen the tetras annoying him nor have I seen him nipping himself. He still seems to be eating well though I am only feeding him a small pinch of food once a day.

Iā€™ve had him exactly 1 week and noticed these issues today. This is my first tank and although Iā€™ve researched extensively, thereā€™s so much info out there that I just donā€™t know what to do next.

I cycled the tank for 4 days before adding the betta and neons. All seemed well to begin with.
when I noticed the symptoms today I tested the water using dip strips and got a 0.5 mg/L Ammonia reading and a nitrite reading of 0.5 mg/L, so I did a water change of around 25-30% and that seemed to solve the ammonia/ nitrite issue. Iā€™ve also added some salt to the tank after water changes.

After the water change the current parameters are:
Temp 25 Celsius
PH 7.0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their Bettas? What would you recommend I do next?

The tank is 54L.
Heā€™s been even more lethargic this morning and now Iā€™ve noticed a bump at the base of the tail.

Iā€™ll keep up with the daily water changes and hope I see some kind of improvement soon.
565A7E0F-4585-4618-9FBC-1FB70F86769D.jpeg

Do a 75% water change every day for 2 weeks. This will keep the ammonia levels down while the filter establishes and should help the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Do a 75% water change every day for 2 weeks. This will keep the ammonia levels down while the filter establishes and should help the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Thanks, Iā€™ll give that a go. Iā€™ve been using tapsafe for all water changes. The water is quite hard where I live, could this be causing problems?

He hasnā€™t shown any new symptoms but there hasnā€™t been any improvements yet either.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bettas don't like hard water and it might be a contributing factor, but if the pH is above 7.0 and there is any ammonia in the water, that will cause a lot of stress to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back