Betta Fem Sick. Please help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xcalibreplcp

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My female betta appears to have hemorrhagic septicimia.

Tank 6.5 gallons/cycled/ph 7.5 steady/ ammonia 0-.5 steady/ n02&n03 @ zero/ plants/ 5 raboras / 5 assorted plants

Shes moving around still begging for food and behaving healthy but I know it wont last.

I used Tetra FungusGuard 2x in two weeks and no change.

How do I treat this ASAP?

03dd862f4e94196e47681388ad01dc5d.jpg
3a11aed1d761ed7e2c07756886c20921.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Can I ask why you think your betta has haemorrhagic septicaemia? Just going by the photo, all I can see is a normal orange female with deep orange red colouring in the fins ???? A sort of not quite perfect butterfly patterned female.

If your betta had hemorrhagic septicimia for two weeks, it would of been dead by now. Plus she would not be wanting to eat nor move around much.

I think you are treating for something that isn't there. The red coloration looks natural to me, like it is simply her own colors. Bettas change color as they mature. I've had a white betta turn nearly completely black/blue. I've also got another white betta that is starting to get red on his fins, much like yours is. The fact that the red is in all the fins and relatively even throughout strengthens the natural coloration prospect.

Can I ask why you think your betta has haemorrhagic septicaemia? Just going by the photo, all I can see is a normal orange female with deep orange red colouring in the fins ???? A sort of not quite perfect butterfly patterned female.
The female Betta was pure white prior to her illness. She also has little red sores beginning to form.

The red coloring is NOT part of her normal health.

If your betta had hemorrhagic septicimia for two weeks, it would of been dead by now. Plus she would not be wanting to eat nor move around much.

I think you are treating for something that isn't there. The red coloration looks natural to me, like it is simply her own colors. Bettas change color as they mature. I've had a white betta turn nearly completely black/blue. I've also got another white betta that is starting to get red on his fins, much like yours is. The fact that the red is in all the fins and relatively even throughout strengthens the natural coloration prospect.
The female Betta was pure white prior to her illness. She also has little red sores beginning to form.

Allow me to correct myself. Im not sure is the red coloring is part of a color change but i see little red sores appearing.

The red has turned darker is some areas (like a darker blood color.

Are the red sores raised spots, on the fins or body? Can you post a few pictures of the sores, close ups of certain areas if possible. A top view would be appreciated as well. Just from the one pictures, I don't see anything abnormal looking.

If it is indeed a color change, the colors may start from a light pink to dark red as they form, the opposite of fading out so to speak.

Without close up photos I cant tell, however if it is HS I don't hold out much hope for the fish .

What is it?
Thankfully, most fish owners will never come across this disease. But when this disease occurs it has devastating consequences. It progresses slowly, often with little symptoms. The fish will continually more lethargic until it finally dies.

It is caused by a bacteria that attacks a fish's blood vessels. The bacteria slowly spread, causing hemorrhaging along the way, thus the name. Eventually the disease reaches the heart and other vital organs and the fish will die.

It is often brought about by poor water quality, as are many diseases. Parasitic infections may trigger the disease, but are not a direct cause. The fish may exhibit dropsy-like symptoms as body fluids leak into the abdomen, causing the fish to appear pine-cone like.

It is also often due to high ammonia levels, and for that reason is more common in goldfish. (I.e., goldfish produce a lot of waste and in turn water is more susceptible to high ammonia.) Water changes should be carried out regularly to help prevent this nasty disease.

It may not affect all fish in an aquarium, and often only affects fish with a wound or point of entry.

As well as a bacterial form of this disease, a viral form also exist. It is less common however.

Symptoms:
Streaks of blood in fins are often one of the first obvious signs. The may have red areas on their body and eyes as well. The fish will become lethargic, which increases in severity as time goes by.

If the condition is brought about by ammonia, ammonia poisoning symptoms may also appear. These include gasping at the surface and rapid breathing.

Cure:
Quick treatment is essential! Firstly check water parameters (pH should be 6.5 - 7.2 and ammonia should be 0). Fix these and progress to treatment. A broad spectrum anti-biotic should cure the problem, providing there has not been too much internal damage done. Medicated food may also help. Sadly, it may be too late and the fish may die regardless.

A small amount of aquarium salt added to the aquarium will help with stress and will help restore fluid levels to a normal level within the fishes body.

Remember, water quality is always extremely important- so always check that first as it is often the cause of disease in aquarium fish. When treating sick fish, try to put the least amount of stress on them as possible, as stress will hinder the heeling process. Another thing is to remember is that generally, a healthy fish is a happy fish.
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/fish_problems/HEMORHAGICSEPTICEMIA.html

Last edited:
Are the red sores raised spots, on the fins or body? Can you post a few pictures of the sores, close ups of certain areas if possible. A top view would be appreciated as well. Just from the one pictures, I don't see anything abnormal looking.

If it is indeed a color change, the colors may start from a light pink to dark red as they form, the opposite of fading out so to speak.
Im starting to think this pure white girl may just be going through a color change. she has not shown any "illness" symptoms and I spent too much time on google. She may just be a marble betta. Ill snap some more shots shortly. Having said that Id still like to eliminate HS. How can i confirm its not HS or a fungal issue?

One other thing.

Tank 6.5 gallons/cycled/ph 7.5 steady/ ammonia 0-.5 steady/ n02&n03 @ zero/ plants/ 5 raboras / 5 assorted plants
A 6 gallon tank is too small for Rasboras

If the betta acts no different (still eating, swimming, pooping etc) and all the water parameters are good then I doubt your betta has HC. A fish will often start behaving oddly before you see physical signs of illness.

I do agree with Nick about the tank being small for Rasboras, but that's beside the point ATM. Just be aware that problems may arise in the future with your stocking.

One other thing.

A 6 gallon tank is too small for Rasboras
Ill be putting then in a 20g soon. So far they all look happy and healthy and getting along w the fem betta but from what ive read its a time bomb. For this reason ill be moving then out when i get the bigger tank delivered in a week or two

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back