Betta Cottage

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You won't be able to add numbers unless you rescape as it will affect the sorority unfortunately!

If you pick up another heater, just use that in the bucket to equalise temp, or you can make it up with hot water from the kettle or on the stove :)

I know about rescaping. If I get more a few months from now, then I'll be sure to do that but I don't even know if that's the route I'm going to take.

In regards to heating the water, I don't have a proper stove, only one electric eye which plugs into my wall, so bringing enough kettles of water for a water change to temp would certainly take a while! :) It won't be long before it won't be an issue. During the summer, the tap was cruising at around 78 degrees Fahrenheit, so I didn't use much hot water at all for water changes. It won't be long now before I'll be in a similar situation.

Rescaped and cleaned the tank today. I moved the Malaysian driftwood for the first time since September or October. Naturally there was a ton of crap that needed to be cleaned. Then I decided to switch things up slightly just for fun. I was, however, limited with my design because I have this year+ old amazon sword with a massive root system and Big Hoss is kind of hard to replant. He's my plant baby, though. I think Big Hoss was my first ever live plant. I originally had it in a ten gallon, moved it to a 55 where it made spectacular growth, then had it back in the ten gallon, and now in this twenty. Anyway, I only adjusted the way the long piece of driftwood was sitting and moved some smaller plants around. Results are loading in photobucket now.

Kinda terrible FTS:

Terrible picture of the left side where the two pieces of wood meet.

Okay picture of the right side which is more open. Hoss is between the pot and the end of the wood. You can also see the new catappa leaves against the glass

I suck at taking pictures with my phone. You can see where I am going with it though.

*phew*

just finished reading all 10 pages of the journal! haha

Nice job! Beatiful girls too!

Hope everything turns out well! Gd Luck! :)

Haha thanks!

Now that I've been looking at the tank with its new scape, I'm pretty sure I need more plants. *sigh*

Shall I never be happy with the look of my tanks? I've also noticed more fin-nipping. Additional plants should help out with that.

read through and can i say what a journey you have had,
sorry to hear of your losses.
i can only wish you the best in the future and hope you stick with the sorority :)

Just lost my little blue-green Nyx. She got stuck in the hole at the bottom of the flower pot cave. Although I was able to get her out, her injuries really were too much.

On the bright side, I picked up a little cutie for a dollar while I was at the pet store (during which time my fish was getting stuck). Pictures coming soon.

Boyfriend picked up for me a gorgeous "dragon scale crowntail male" today, only to discover that it's a female dragon scale (Halfmoon or plakat, maybe?). He ended up getting her for only a dollar. I've named her Hydra and the other new girl Gorgon. Unfortunately, Hydra and Gorgon keep getting into little arguments. The original four don't bother Hydra or Gorgon and vice versa, but these two new girls are becoming a bit of a problem. I plan to stop at the store tomorrow for some new clay pots (which will be properly sealed at the end) to help. I thought moving around the plants would help, but I think it doesn't matter because they are both so new.

I was concerned after seeing them flare at each other that Hydra may be a male but her ovipositor is visible. I dunno. She's so pretty though. I'll put up some pics in the morning.

Hydra has been terrorizing the sorority. She's taken a huge chunk out of my blue and white marble's tail (about half of her caudal is gone). She's ripped up the red and white marble and one of the solid reds. The tank was functioning well before I added her, so I think I'm going to need to move her out of the tank. Only problem is that the only tank I have is a 2.5 gallon snail tank with an uncycled filter and an unreliable preset 50 watt heater. Should I put her in this until I can upgrade to at least five gallons? I'm worried Hydra is killing my whole stock.

Are those catappa leaves? And if they are do you them in there until they completely decompose? Is there anything bad from it.

Can you get a good pic of Hydra from the side?  It is highly possible that Hydra is really a he which would explain the extreme aggressiveness.  Some males show "fake" oviposters especially when younger so that is not a reliable way to always sex bettas.

sawickib said:
Are those catappa leaves? And if they are do you them in there until they completely decompose? Is there anything bad from it.
I switch them out every two weeks. There aren't any ill effects.
Wildbetta said:
Can you get a good pic of Hydra from the side?  It is highly possible that Hydra is really a he which would explain the extreme aggressiveness.  Some males show "fake" oviposters especially when younger so that is not a reliable way to always sex bettas.
Soon as I get home I'll catch Hydra and take a picture. Hope hope hoping that it's a girl.

sawickib said:

I leave my leaves until they are gone.  LOL  There is nothing that bothers the tank except that it can look a bit unsightly if you are into the "perfectly clean tidy" type of tank.

I finally got the video to upload. I've been trying for hours.

Here is a video of Hydra in a betta cup for the purposes of video taking (she's back in the main tank now).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back