Betta ate one thing but not the other.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thats fine do things at your pace and budget, Like I said this is just my opinion.

I'm assuming they're live.

Oh yes they are alive, Caring for them is easy, tie them to small rocks and put in tank, then do regular water changes its all I do. I do not use fertilizer or anything like that.

I don't wanna disturb him anymore for a bit because I have plenty enough this week and I just got him
Thats fine but remember he will feel more secure when he has plants to hide in.

I'm also interested in the moss balls
They are totally safe, However I am not a fan of Marimo Moss balls in aquariums as

1, they are endangered in the wild because of the aquarium trade, Did you know Marimo balls are actually algae and grow about 5 millimeters a year and can live 100 years or more.

2 In my opinion A tropical tank is too warm for them, I know a guy who puts his in the fridge in summer.

One of my other tanks

v83ep2.jpg

Thats fine do things at your pace and budget, Like I said this is just my opinion.
Wow, didn't know about the moss balls. I definitely won't get them then. So I just get the plants and tie them with some fishing line onto a rock or something + regular water changes? That's it?!! I'll totally look into it soon. Your tanks look so awesome I'm so jealous. I only have a few little plastic plants for him and the two figures in the tank. I just don't know too much about the live ones or have the money for it. But those tanks are so beautiful I definitely want mine to look like that in the future. Also thanks!!

Oh yes they are alive, Caring for them is easy, tie them to small rocks and put in tank, then do regular water changes its all I do. I do not use fertilizer or anything like that.

Thats fine but remember he will feel more secure when he has plants to hide in.

They are totally safe, However I am not a fan of Marimo Moss balls in aquariums as

1, they are endangered in the wild because of the aquarium trade, Did you know Marimo balls are actually algae and grow about 5 millimeters a year and can live 100 years or more.

2 In my opinion A tropical tank is too warm for them, I know a guy who puts his in the fridge in summer.

One of my other tanks

v83ep2.jpg

Yes, anubias are very unfussy. A little light and regular water changes... that's about all there is to it. Bettas also like to sleep on the leaves, so a nice broadleaf anubias will be good.

The key to success with fish and plants isn't about how much fuss you are willing to put in, it's about getting fish and plants that match the fuss you can give! Bettas don't need much more than clean, fresh water, some plants to hang out in and proper food. And anubias are super simple plants. Java ferns would work too, they are also superunfussy and just need to be anchored to some decor and will do wonders.

I'd suggest you bump up the water change amount to closer to about 40%. Also, there's no need to change out the filter monthly. Just rinse it in old tank water with each water change, then put the savings from the filter media into plants. Plants are natural filters as well. Two birds... one stone!

One last thing, how did you cycle your tank?

Yes, anubias are very unfussy. A little light and regular water changes... that's about all there is to it. Bettas also like to sleep on the leaves, so a nice broadleaf anubias will be good.

The key to success with fish and plants isn't about how much fuss you are willing to put in, it's about getting fish and plants that match the fuss you can give! Bettas don't need much more than clean, fresh water, some plants to hang out in and proper food. And anubias are super simple plants. Java ferns would work too, they are also superunfussy and just need to be anchored to some decor and will do wonders.

I'd suggest you bump up the water change amount to closer to about 40%. Also, there's no need to change out the filter monthly. Just rinse it in old tank water with each water change, then put the savings from the filter media into plants. Plants are natural filters as well. Two birds... one stone!

One last thing, how did you cycle your tank?
I filled the tank to the fill line on the filter, and added the recommended dechlorinator drops for my 2.5 gallon. I let the filter run in the tank for a day. I slowly introduced my betta into the tank like you're supposed to with the cup and all.

Ok, then the tank is NOT cycled.

Cycling means introducing ammonia to the tank and developing a bacterial colony which will deal with the ammonia naturally produced by fish and will poison them. The term cycling is in reference to the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia becomes nitrite which becomes nitrate which you remove with water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are deadly in small doses for the Betta. Nitrate is less deadly but still needs to be kept fairly low.

As such, the plants would be a major benefit to help deal with the ammonia and bring in some bacteria. And you are going to have to do water changes quite frequently to deal with the ammonia as it builds up. You NEED a test kit for ammonia and nitrite.

Ok, then the tank is NOT cycled.

Cycling means introducing ammonia to the tank and developing a bacterial colony which will deal with the ammonia naturally produced by fish and will poison them. The term cycling is in reference to the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia becomes nitrite which becomes nitrate which you remove with water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are deadly in small doses for the Betta. Nitrate is less deadly but still needs to be kept fairly low.

As such, the plants would be a major benefit to help deal with the ammonia and bring in some bacteria. And you are going to have to do water changes quite frequently to deal with the ammonia as it builds up. You NEED a test kit for ammonia and nitrite.
Oh.. I didn't know that that's what the cycling meant. I didn't see a test kit when I went to petsmart today.

In the meantime, a water change is in order for your guy. At least 50%, with temp matched water. You might think the water change will stress him, but ammonia will stress him more. I'd do 50% at least every other day until you can get a test kit to verify where the levels are.

I'd do 50% at least every other day until you can get a test kit to verify where the levels are.
I agree.

In the meantime, a water change is in order for your guy. At least 50%, with temp matched water. You might think the water change will stress him, but ammonia will stress him more. I'd do 50% at least every other day until you can get a test kit to verify where the levels are.
Guess I'll be doing that then cause I can't get any for a bit. Gah. Well thank you very much for helping me learn and fix my mistake.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back