Betta ate one thing but not the other.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CactusGal

Reaction score
hello! I'm sure this has been asked before, but my case might be different. I have a male betta, and I got him last Saturday. I bought cheap food at Walmart and he ate a whole pellet of it in his cup when I first got him. I got him a tank, cycled it, added decor and rinsed it all. Also used the dechlorinator and all that. Did a 25% water change last night. I've been trying the cheap pellets all week, and today I got some Aqueon dried blood worms and he ate 3-4. I also got some Aqueon natural betta food pellets and they're really small. Smaller than the tetra I tried giving him. I fed the worms at noon, and tried four times at giving him the new pellets I bought. He put it in his mouth and spit it out. I bought it because it was compared to the New life betta food everyone likes. I know he's new to his tank, and that may cause him not to eat, but he ate the worms today with no issue. Will he even bother with pellets knowing that I have the bloodworms? Should I get the Aqua life pellets still? I don't want him to live off of worms and shrimp. Also, so I don't get asked this, his water is at 78 degrees.

Bettas have preferences for food. If he's eating something, I wouldn't worry about it. If he gets hungry, he'll eat the pellets you're offering him... eventually.

Bettas have preferences for food. If he's eating something, I wouldn't worry about it. If he gets hungry, he'll eat the pellets you're offering him... eventually.
I was doing that with the cheap tetra food. He only touched it in his cup. Tried feeding it all week and he didn't eat it, got worms and he finally ate for the first time in his tank today. I tried the aqueon pellets again 20 minutes ago and he did the same thing. I don't know if they're just not soft or he just doesn't like them.

First when feeding dried blood worm make sure you soak it in a spoon full of tank water for about 15 minutes first.

Bettas are fussy eaters and often reject new food, the way around this is to NOT feed them alternatives.

I have never used Aqueon Betta Pellets so I cant give advice on their quality.

However.

Offer your Betta a pellet if he eats it fine give him another one, about 3 or 4 a day should be fine.
If he rejects the pellet remove it from the water and give him nothing for 24 hours then offer him a pellet if he eats it fine if not see above.
After about a week of doing this he will no longer reject the pellets.
Do not give up or feed him anything else.

First when feeding dried blood worm make sure you soak it in a spoon full of tank water for about 15 minutes first.

Bettas are fussy eaters and often reject new food, the way around this is to NOT feed them alternatives.

However.

Offer your Betta a pellet if he eats it fine give him another one, about 3 or 4 a day should be fine.
If he rejects the pellet remove it from the water and give him nothing for 24 hours then offer him a pellet if he eats it fine if not see above.

However.

Okay, so I should keep trying with the Aqueon ones? I didn't let them soak before feeding. Is it okay if I try tomorrow morning/afternoon? I'll take your advice and try soaking the pellets in tank water for some time. If he doesn't eat/touch them at all tomorrow, should I order the new life food that I've been looking at?

You could try soaking the pellet first, I only feed Atisons to my Bettas, I found the New Life Spectrum Betta pellets to be inconsistent in size.

Betta Pro - Ocean Nutrition is a manufacturer of premium fish food

Atison's Betta Food Products, Betta Breeders, Fish Nutrition

This is one of my guys trying to eat a New Life spectrum Betta pellet, That pellet is the same size as about 6 Atisons pellets as you can see feeding him that one pellet would be over feeding him

21mafs7.jpg

You could try soaking the pellet first, I only feed Atisons to my Bettas, I found the New Life Spectrum Betta pellets to be inconsistent in size.

Betta Pro - Ocean Nutrition is a manufacturer of premium fish food

Atison's Betta Food Products, Betta Breeders, Fish Nutrition

This is one of my guys trying to eat a New Life spectrum Betta pellet, That pellet is the same size as about 6 Atisons pellets as you can see feeding him that one pellet would be over feeding him

21mafs7.jpg
Your betta looks awesome! I've never heard of that brand but I've also heard the Hikari brand is really good. Do you have any experience on that too? I also didn't know the life pellets were that big, oh my.

Oh no no no, You dont get out of it that easy LOL I showed you my Betta now you show us yours. Photo please.

Heres another of my guys, and I am about to get a third one.
YGHgkug.jpg

Oh no no no, You dont get out of it that easy LOL I showed you my Betta now you show us yours. Photo please.

Heres another of my guys, and I am about to get a third one.
YGHgkug.jpg
He's so pretty!!!

Attachments

• download_20170110_072221.jpg
    download_20170110_072221.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 182
Ok hes a nice boy but now I am going to bombard you with questions.

How big is the tank
Is it filtered
Is it cycled
What is the water temp
How often do you change water and how much do you change
What De chlorinator do you use.
Have you got a water test kit of some sort, Do you know what the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels in the water are

Can you provide a photo of the whole tank.

He's so pretty!!!
He's so pretty!!!
Ok hes a nice boy but now I am going to bombard you with questions.

How big is the tank
Is it filtered
Is it cycled
What is the water temp
How often do you change water and how much do you change
What De chlorinator do you use.
Have you got a water test kit of some sort, Do you know what the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels in the water are

Can you provide a photo of the whole tank.
Alright, I know the tank is small. It is a 2.5 and I honestly 100% know it's bad. I wanted to get used to owning a fish because he is my first one. I didn't wanna go ahead and blow 100$ to start because I just don't have that kind of money and I wanted to make sure I know how and can keep him alive and enjoy it. His tank is cycled and it is filtered. His filter is like a gentle little waterfall and uses small tetra filters. The temp is 78-79 always and I have a thermometer. I have only had him a week, but I did a 25% water change yesterday and I will do it weekly. I'll replace the filter every month. I use the Betta h20 conditioner. I haven't been able to get a test. I know his head is black, meaning the nitrates and amonia and such but I bought him this way. Here's a pic. I know it looks dark but that's because I have the LED off due to my lights just being off. Was letting him rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_205348.jpg
    IMG_20170114_205348.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 154
That can work.

This is my opinion

You need way more plants, Things like swords Crypts annubias and some floating plants something like water sprite.

You could do something like this, This is my Cube. Thats all anubias.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

That can work.

This is my opinion

You need way more plants, Things like swords Crypts annubias and some floating plants something like water sprite.

You could do something like this, This is my Cube. Thats all anubias.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067
That's beautiful! I was thinking about upgrading to a 5gallon as a birthday gift to myself. I don't know how to care for live plants but I do have soft plastic plants I want to put in but I don't wanna disturb him anymore for a bit because I have plenty enough this week and I just got him. I'm also interested in the moss balls, but I don't know how safe those are for the aquarium. Would they bring bacteria or anything into it? Those anubias are really cool. I'm assuming they're live.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back