What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Bleuet

Reaction score
I'm thinking about keeping a betta and tetra community tank. I was wondering what people who've had experience with this set up think. I've kept bettas and corydoras before and they got along but at feeding time the betta would eat all the corydora food and the corydoras would get almost none. Has that happened to anyone here, the bettas stealing all the tetra food or the tetras stealing betta food? Did everyone get enough to eat and did it work out? I'd love to get advice before deciding if i want to try a betta and tetras together.

I have recently purchased my second betta, I have him in a 54 litre long tank with 6 black neon tetras. My betta is a plakat, so quite a quick swimmer.

I have taught him to come to one end of the tank whilst I put literally a sprinkle of flakes in the opposite end for the tetras. I then feed him his pellets.

The tetras are quick to use up all the flake before he gets a look in, was a bit tricky to start with, but now they know the routine :)

Good luck.

The first tank I put together was a Betta tank, we saved Drago (my son named him) from the LFS.  He is in a 20 gallon.  Live planted and he lives with a school of 8 neon tetra and 3 albino cory.  Everyone gets on well, I have never had any issues with feeding.  Originally my son had picked out Black Skirt Tetras and I had to remove those as they were picking apart Drago's fins.

Thanks, I guess so far from what I've heard it should work. Any more opinions though?
If I did this set up in a ten gallon what kind of tetras would you recomend for that size of tank?

It normally works bettas and tetras. You just have to avoid nippy tetras like beuno aires.
For a 10 gallon you'd want green neons or ember tetras. They are small enough to fit in there and will look good along side a betta. :)

TallTree01 said:
It normally works bettas and tetras. You just have to avoid nippy tetras like beuno aires.
For a 10 gallon you'd want green neons or ember tetras. They are small enough to fit in there and will look good along side a betta. :)
Thanks, I'll research them they look nice! :)

Anyone else?

I currently have a ten gallon tank with 5 neon tetras and I am considering adding a male betta. I am interested in hearing what you decide to stock with your betta and how it turns out! Does anyone have neon tetras and a betta together? Does it work? 

FriendlyFriendlyFish said:
I currently have a ten gallon tank with 5 neon tetras and I am considering adding a male betta. I am interested in hearing what you decide to stock with your betta and how it turns out! Does anyone have neon tetras and a betta together? Does it work?
It totally depends on the betta, some tolerate, some kill, some get totally stressed.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, I'm not in a rush to decide. It seems like this might work for me though my betta is not very aggressive. These answers have been helpful and if any one else has had success or not been successful with this set up even a simple yes or no would still be useful.

I know there are quite a few members on this Forum who have no problems with Bettas in a community tank.

My experience has been that it is difficult to control what the Betta eats in such a setting. Overeating can cause intestinal problems in Bettas, (constipation and other complications) that have the potential to cause death!

Shelster said:

It totally depends on the betta, some tolerate, some kill, some get totally stressed.

Thanks for your reply! I went to my LFS and got a dwarf gourami instead; hopefully everyone gets along :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back