Betta and shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kyt

Reaction score
hello!

Looking for advice from some lovely fish people!!

I bought a 15litre biorb then read all the horror stories and was devastated. Wanted to put minnows in but it was too small. I cried lol!! Anyway, I've decided to house a lovely little betta once my tank has cycled (currently nearly a week in)

Anyway, long story short (sorry) if love to after a few month of the cycled and betta to add some shrimp!

I've heard ghost shrimp can be a little aggressive and I'm going to go for amarno shrimp but is there any quirky types I could get? Heard of the blue shrimp that look BEAUTIFUL!! Any other quirky types I could try that would be ok with my betta (based on the temperament of the betta)?

Thanks in advance xx

If your betta isn't too aggressive, you've got a lot of options. Ghost shrimp are okay as long as they aren't Machrobrachium shrimp. I'm on mobile right now, so I can't give you pictures directly, but here is a quote from a different post that explains the difference:
Well, it kinds of sounds like your Ghost shrimps were actually machrobrachium shrimps, a predatory specie of shrimp that will feed on small fish and shrimps in your tank.

They are very similar in appearances to ghost shrimps when young, the only real telltale sign is the long pincers arms they have, much longer than ghost shrimps.

But am sure the oscar appreciated the snacks :/

View attachment 82850 View attachment 82851
Machrobrachium Shrimp Left Picture and Ghost Shrimp Right Picture

Note the difference in the length of the forearms with pincers. Almost double in length on the machro.
But one difference is that the machrobrachiums can grow pretty big, 6 inches or larger is not unknown and they will go through a slight colouration change as they grow into full adults.

An interessting specie to keep in its own right but not for the community tank :lol:

I've heard that Amano shrimp are good algae eaters. I'd love to get a group of these myself, but haven't been able to source them.
Cherry shrimp and the many colour variations people have made from them are very cool, plus there's the added benefit of them being able to breed in freshwater. I've never owned these guys long enough to really have experience with them (my betta thought they were very nice snacks, they hid very well in my molly tank), but they're fairly common tankmates for bettas.
I'd be a little wary with buying the more expensive colour morphs or rarer shrimp (like Red Crystal Shrimp) unless you're sure that the betta won't attack them.

Last edited:
Bettas and shrimp, It may or may not work it depends on the Betta, size and type of shrimp are irrelevant, My female Bettas even manage to attack and eat Malaysian Trumpet snails, And they just love Mystery snail.

Yesterday I put 20 Red Cherry shrimp in the tank all my girls look happily over fed.

I'm going to start with amano shrimp I think and then work up :) I just looooove the look of the blue coloured shrimp! I'm two weeks in cycling my tank. Just wish it would hurry I'm so excited for the arrivals!!

do you know if you can ceep a male betta in a mason jar

depends on the size, if its 5 gallon they yes.

I'm going to start with amano shrimp I think and then work up :) I just looooove the look of the blue coloured shrimp! I'm two weeks in cycling my tank. Just wish it would hurry I'm so excited for the arrivals!!
Amanos are very hard workers and will keep your tank super clean! They get a little bigger than your average shrimp so it's chances might be better(although prob not by much) but like stated above...it really depends on the temperament of your beta. Don't fall in love with your shrimp!!! Odds are you'll most likely be crying in the end! ha

I'm leaning to Amanos defs! I really want some weird and wonderful ones though. The blue velvet ones and bumblebees look beautiful!

I know, I'll so get attached and cry you know, I'm the worst for it

I'm leaning to Amanos defs! I really want some weird and wonderful ones though. The blue velvet ones and bumblebees look beautiful!

I know, I'll so get attached and cry you know, I'm the worst for it

My suggestion would be a shrimp only so you can experience them in all their glory...instead of them running for their lives.

I've bought some things specifically to make the shrimps feel safe plus live plants specifically for shrimp and moss balls. I thought they'd be okay with this?

I've bought some things specifically to make the shrimps feel safe plus live plants specifically for shrimp and moss balls. I thought they'd be okay with this?
They're going to need lots of cover and hiding places!! Once that beta realizes that's moving food, it will most likely go on the hunt.

No, shrimp are sensitive to unstable water parameters. I'd go for a cycled 2.5 at least, like a betta.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back