Beefheart as fishfood.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
has anybody here fed their fish beef heart, i heard it is a great food for all fish, anybody tried it?

Although heart contains much less fat than other organs (meat), you shouldn't feed your fishes by giving them meat of warm-blooded animals. Fat make changes in fish organs and many fishes have died eventually - organs don't work normally...

I lost 3 beautiful pictus cats and a green-spotted puffer by feeding them frozen beef heart. They all died within 24 hours of eating, so I'd have to say...noooooo ;)

Hi ... i think it's more for the predator type fish ...My pirahna's love the stuff !!.. but ive never given it to my other fish ..

I've never used frozen beef heart, but I do buy whole, fresh beef hearts at the butcher shop and process them myself. I am sure that when you buy the frozen stuff, the entire heart has been tossed into a large grinder or proccessor or whatever. When you buy a heart yourself, it is very easy to see and feel which parts are pure organ, as opposed to the bits that are sinewy, fatty, or tough skin. I chop it into little bits for my oscar, convict cichlids, and piranha. I grind it up in the food processor, along with all sorts of other goodies (usually spinach, shrimp, fish fillets, peas etc.), freeze it in a flat sheet (pressed out in a Ziplock bag), then break off pieces for my smaller fish. Everyone, including my bettas, loves it.

As for mussels, I buy them fresh, still in the shells, then shell them and feed them to my bigger fish.

Doggfather, beef heart is not great food for all fish. Can you just imagine a pack of hungry neons, chasing down a cow and tearing through its hide and flesh to get at the nice warm heart.... ? It's unhealthy and risky to feed fish anything that they haven't evolved to include in their diet. And if we humans followed this advice in our own diets we wouldn't be dropping dead from all our self-made diseases. Beef heart is probably only great for very large predator fish like true-sharks.

As alternatives to heart, try garden worms and sheeled frozen prawns.

I freeze the worms after cleaning off the soil to kill and preserve them and then snap a bit off as required.

My clown loaches love them and my angels love the prawns :thumbs:

I'm not all too sure how good frozen beefheart is for fish but I would have no problem feeding beefheart from a butcher to my fish.

I stay away from it. If there's even a chance that mammal meat will harm my fish, why bother with so many alternatives out there.

As for 'all fish, every fish in Exiled's signature would not last long on that kind of diet.

Just thinking about touching beefheart makes me sick :sick: . I wouldnt use it because most fish wont even see a cow, unless a cow crosses a piranha infested river.

I sure do not want to mess with processing it myself, so I buy frozen. I feed it to my discus. My neons eat what the discus misses. The neons are big, healthy, and very colorful.

my discus loved beefheart and never had a problem feeding it to other predators such as birchirs and eels

anybody know about feeding pirahna snails (out of there shells), woodlice etc and cooked human food (as in the meat that i am eating) and how much to feed them for rapid growth? i want to get them growing and canibalising each other like your do!

i have 4 small (5cm pirahna) in a 45x25x25cm=28 litre tank with cover for them and no light (because they don't like it too bright so i'm told) and a 100 watt heater as my room is cold right now. it maybe that the tank is a bit small but they are small and i will get a larger one when they start to get a bit bigger.

Also is it safe to put pre-soaked wood, rocks and british river weed in there or is that likely to lead to diseases?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back