bonds

• i booed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i cheered

• who is barry bonds

• Total voters
It seems the general consensus is that he started taking steroids after the 1998 season when McGwire and Sosa both broke the old single season record. If you look at his stats starting in 1999, it's pretty amazing what a sudden difference there is.

Thru 1998 and the age of 34 he had 411 home runs in 6621 at bats or an average of a home run every 16.1 at bats. Starting in 1999 he hit 347 home runs in only 3163 at bats or one every 9.1 at bats. And he missed almost the entire 2005 season due to injury, only playing in 14 games with only 42 at bats (5 HRs).

He hit 40+ home runs only 3 times in his first 13 seasons thru 1998 and then hit 40+ for 5 consecutive seasons starting in 2000 after turning 35 during the 1999 season. He would have hit over 40 in 1999 had he not missed so many games due to injurys (were they related to the sudden bulk developed by steroids?). Based on the 34 he hit in only 355 at bats, that would have been about 46 if you take his average at bats from the 4 seasons before and after that season and prorate it.

If he plays an average number of games this season he should end up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 765 to 770. If he then gets on with an AL team next year as a DH where he can play every day, stays healthy and doesn't have to play the field, he could easily hit 40 more meaning he could easily break 800 and possibly 810 to 820. That would mean he hit almost the same number of home runs after he turned 35 as he did before in the prime of his career. I think those are numbers that could only be accomplished with the aide of steroids.

I heard on the news this morning, that the man who caught Barry Bond's record home run ball is selling it on ebay, because he cannot afford to keep it, as the IRS wants him to pay tax of $200,000.00 on it. To the people in the United States: how is that legal over there? To have to pay about the cost of a house on a baseball you caught at a baseball game?

There was an article in the paper right after he caught the ball saying the IRS "could" persue that but most people thought they wouldn't. And thing you earn, are given or inherit is taxable and I guess the ball falls in there somewhere, probably under earned as I'm sure he probably took a beating in fighting for it when it landed in the stands. Because that ball has a probable "street value" of about half a million dollars or more, it would be considered taxable. Sounds very strange and I doubt the IRS would have ever tried to tax him if he had kept it but he will definitely have to pay taxes on what he earns from the sale. If it were me though, I think I would find a better avenue than eBay to sell it.

I don't know what I was thinking with my last post... lets pretend it didn't happen..

Obviously mr skinny couldn't break the home run record.. not that Bonds would have been mr skinny, but he probably wouldn't have broken the record.

BAD ME.. BAD !

Reading this as an Englishmen, why would a baseball player need to take steroids anyway/how could it affect his game!?

Crazy stuff.

It builds muscle very quickly, thus more power. It also gives old muscles (Bonds was in his mid 30s when he alllegedly started taking them) new life so that someone in their mid to late 30s can produce more power and better numbers than they did in the prime of their career, 20s and early 30s. It has been mentioned that some pitchers take in so that they can still stay strong near the end of the season when others are starting to tire. It would apply to both hitters and pitchers though.

I heard on the news this morning, that the man who caught Barry Bond's record home run ball is selling it on ebay, because he cannot afford to keep it, as the IRS wants him to pay tax of $200,000.00 on it. To the people in the United States: how is that legal over there? To have to pay about the cost of a house on a baseball you caught at a baseball game?

really?!

I'd sell it. Its worth about $2 in my book.

From a Giants fan, the whole steroids thing is getting old, but it comes with the territory I guess. I don't like making the "he's not the only one" argument, but his talent does outweigh the whole issue to those who root for him.

Possibility of making a few extra million a year simply by popping pills that were 'legal' and untested for at the time...uhhh sure!!!! Asterisk and integrity of the game doesn't mean anything to overpaid athletes anyways, or the struggling ones trying to make it. It's a business first!!! Just watch the sport and enjoy it, if you don't turn off the TV.

The American Goverment NEVER passes up an opportunity to get money from it's people. How are they suppose to buy their sixteen year old sons Ferrari's?

I'd sell it. Its worth about $2 in my book.

From a Giants fan, the whole steroids thing is getting old, but it comes with the territory I guess. I don't like making the "he's not the only one" argument, but his talent does outweigh the whole issue to those who root for him.

Possibility of making a few extra million a year simply by popping pills that were 'legal' and untested for at the time...uhhh sure!!!! Asterisk and integrity of the game doesn't mean anything to overpaid athletes anyways, or the struggling ones trying to make it. It's a business first!!! Just watch the sport and enjoy it, if you don't turn off the TV.

Some people are mad becuase the former record holders beat it without steriods and now bond comes a long and cheats the system....

Most reactions

Back