Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Banded gourami chasing female betta

Discussion in 'Betta Splendens' started by Aniket, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Aniket

Aniket Fish Fanatic

I added banded gourami in community tank with swordtail,molly,zebra danio and female betta. I think banded gourami is female because his dorsal and anal fins are rounded. But she chases female betta. Gourami always hide behind filter when someone gets closer to aquarium but other time it chases female betta. Why?

2. NickAu

NickAu Member
    Tank of the Month Winner!

We told you in another post you cant keep Gouramis and Bettas in the same tank and you said something like " I am studying them they are peaceful I know what I am doing " .

You cant keep Gouramis and Bettas in the same tank, You must remove one or the Gourami will kill the Betta,

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

All labyrinth fish are territorial and fight other types of labyrinth fish that come into their home. Labyrinth fishes include all gouramis and Bettas. These fish should only have 1 species per tank. You should not mix different species of gourami and Betta because they will fight over territory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jeremy180

Jeremy180 Member

Agreed, the anabantids (gourami and betas) are more territorial to other members of the group than to other fish in general, when selecting, this should be considered.

If you are talking about banded dwarf gourami, these are also more on the aggressive side than other species.

Edit: strongly recommend you do one of three things ASAP: move one or the other to a different, Cycled tank, ask about the store's return policy or get a tank divider.

#4 Jeremy180, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018