Bala Shark Emergency - 1 Year Old Swimming Upside Down For Second Day

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snugglesjk

Reaction score
Thank you! Sorry! need advice. We had two Bala Sharks for approximately a year. Both gorgeous and lively and healthy. Yesterday we did a water exchange of approximately half our tank (75 gallon tank). We were gone for a couple hours and when we came home one Bala was upside down on bottom of tank and had passed. The other Bala was also upside down, but swimming and turning himself right side up from time to time. We tested water and levels were fine. We finally figured out that the heater was broken so after research we assumed that the balas were shocked by a temperature change. It was after 6 on Sunday our pet stores were closed. Went to Walmart and purchased two 30-60 gallon heaters and we added warm water to the aquarium immediately. Looked for advice online. Added stress coat per such advice. Dimmed lights for the night to try to alleviate stress per such advice. This morning our Bala is still alive and swimming although he is still upside down. he looks silver and shiny. His eyes look more black than usual. We don't have any other bigger or aggressive fish in our tank (clown loaches, angel fish, silver dollar fish). Trying to figure out what is the best way to try to help him. One site suggested feeding frozen

Sorry if these are silly questions for you.

Did you add dechlorinater the tap water before adding water to tank.

Do you have thermometer/s on your tank to monitor tank water temperature?
As all your other stocking are not showing signs of heat shock.

The thing about fish and temperature is what one should do when the water gets either too hot or too cold. Every fish species has a temperature range where, as one exceeds the extremes, it cause problems and then death. The science shows that when a fish begins to show the signs of temperature problems- either too hot or too cold (i.e out of the range), the remedy is to get the fish back into the safe range ASAP. Do not even think about any sort of acclimation process. The sooner this is done the better.

Here is a research paper on the subject "Cold shock and fish" from the Journal of Fish Biology (2008): http://www3.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/JFB-Donaldson%20etal%202008.pdf
It has way more information than most of us want to know or see, but it will explain it all if you can wade through parts of it.

I would not hold out much hope for your fish recovering if it has not done so by now. Exposure to cold enough for long enough can cause brain damage, among other problems.

Also, I will never put stress coat in any of my tanks. I believe it often does more potential harm than potential good

Recently my fiance accidentally temperature shocked a beta of mine, but with water that was too hot.  He also floated upside down and would occasionally turn upright, but was lethargic.  He passed the second day.  If you have the temp stable now I would not do much other than maybe put a towel over the tank to keep it dark and reduce possible stress.  Unfortunately I'm with TTA, I don't think your fish will make a very good recovery...but then again, never say never

Thank you all for your care and concern. I really appreciate it. To answer your questions, I did use dechlorinator when adding water and all our other fish remain fine (thankfully). We do have a thermometer. Our bala is hanging in there but slowing down some. I feel like the best thing I can do now is pray. Thank you for the article on temperature shock and the advice re: stress coat. I am sorry about your beta fish sqidneh! I hope my bala has a better ending!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back