Baby Fish, Whose Baby Exactly?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

And the suspected-mummy, does she look a little more preggy than before?

She does to me, yes. As has been alluded to by a previous poster, female platies can store sperm packets for use for 6 months after the last contact with a male. If either of your other 2 platies is a male, then she will basically be a baby machine from here on in.

Updates:

Baby is more active now and roaming freely out of the plants most of the time.
what size is your tank? as that bristle nose under the bridge look huge.

It's a really really mini tank, 15 small fish seem just fine inside, but the pleco is growing quite fast and I'm not sure what to do when he is too big for the mini tank :S

She does to me, yes. As has been alluded to by a previous poster, female platies can store sperm packets for use for 6 months after the last contact with a male. If either of your other 2 platies is a male, then she will basically be a baby machine from here on in.

I think I need to buy a breeding net then, I found my guppy keep chasing the platy like crazy :S

Eek what kind of pleco is it?

And how mini is mini?

Updates:

Baby is more active now and roaming freely out of the plants most of the time.
what size is your tank? as that bristle nose under the bridge look huge.

It's a really really mini tank, 15 small fish seem just fine inside, but the pleco is growing quite fast and I'm not sure what to do when he is too big for the mini tank :S

I think I need to buy a breeding net then, I found my guppy keep chasing the platy like crazy :S

I'm not telling you not to get a net, but I personally, in your situation, wouldn't get one.

You have an admittedly small tank - we don't know exactly how small as yet. You already have 14 fish in it. It strikes me that you must be approaching capacity, if not already there, or over.

Your female platy will have 30+ babies every 4-6 weeks. We don't know if one of the other platies is female too. If yes, then that's another 30+ babies every 4-6 weeks. If you save them, where are you going to put them? You won't be able to move them on for at least 3 months (so that'll be at least 60 more fry by the time the first batch are mature enough. I don't think you have space in your "Mini-mini" aquarium. Do you have space for another aquarium to raise the fry in?

I appreciate that many people feel that they can't just let the fry get eaten - it's our human instinct to nurture. But consider the reason why they have so many fry? It's because, in the wild, the vast majority of fry do not survive. It's not like the mother will grieve for the fry - she's probably eaten her fair share herself.

Seriously, mate, consider the practicalities before you decide.

11 Jul afternoon, mummy platy looks very bloated, I placed her into the hatchery.
I waited until 1:30am, nothing, went to bed.
Morning 7:30am, I got 12 babies in the trap!

My little girl is so excited to see new life in the tank.

Attachments

• mummy.jpg
    mummy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 55

Most reactions

Back