Baby Fish, Whose Baby Exactly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sl2012

Reaction score
I have a mini tank with 4 neon tetras, 4 rasboras, 2 blue platies, 1 red balloon platy, 1 guppy and 1 pleco. Yesterday I spotted a baby fish hiding between the plant's leaf! I have no idea whose baby it is (photo attached), anyone can tell? Had a healthy orange molly suddenly died 3 days ago, not sure if she's (I supposed was a she) died from labor?

Attachments

• baby-fish.jpg
    baby-fish.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 86
Ahhhh guys really?? I think one of my blue platy is a she, and she looks very very full when first arrived in March, I was thinking I might have overfed so I cut down the food a little, she started to look not bloated for a month now. Bu I wonder why she doesn't show any sign of being pregnant. And why only 1 baby? Clueless!!

blue platy - I have a blue platy fry exactly the same :good:

She probably had a lot more fry but they make tasty snacks unless they can hide! Looks at least a week or so old. Be ready as she will have more babies every month for about six months, even if there are no males present!

Thanks for all the responses! Very excited to witness a baby in the tank for the first time.

sadguppy, she doesn't look so pregnant, so even I want to, I have no clue of when to separate her into the breeding area :(

Here is a clear shot of the blue platy, anyone thinks she looks pregnant?

Attachments

• possible-mom.jpg
    possible-mom.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 62
Even though she doesn't look it she is very likely to be in the early stages. She will get much bigger. Have a look.on tje livebearers section, it has a photo diary of a Molly growing more pregnant and giving birth; this will ne very similar.

I've just read it as you recommended. Very nice post indeed. Thanks for the information, I'll keep a close eye on my platy from now on!

Updates:

Baby is more active now and roaming freely out of the plants most of the time.
And the suspected-mummy, does she look a little more preggy than before?

Attachments

• mummy&baby.jpg
    mummy&baby.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 72
Updates:

Baby is more active now and roaming freely out of the plants most of the time.
And the suspected-mummy, does she look a little more preggy than before?
what size is your tank? as that bristle nose under the bridge look huge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back